New to Warmoth, first guitar is a bit off color. Northern Lights burst

voxic

Hey all! I know that the colors of the guitars can differ from the marketing materials, but this turned out way more green than I had hoped for. I'd hate to return such an otherwise awesome piece. hell I'd feel guilty doing it. Have you all ever returned anything this custom? Is it possible they could repaint it (i wouldn't think so)? I could probably live with it but this body was $1200 and a 40th birthday present to myself. Were my expectations too high?

Attachments

• IMG_4728.jpg
    IMG_4728.jpg
    679.3 KB · Views: 502
  • IMG_4736.jpg
    IMG_4736.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 288
  • IMG_4733.jpg
    IMG_4733.jpg
    853.6 KB · Views: 474
  • Nubula_Marketing.jpg
    Nubula_Marketing.jpg
    293.9 KB · Views: 493
Ouch. While I do think that the color you go is pretty darn cool, I'd probably be disappointed too if I was expecting more purple...

To me what you got is better than what is in the warmoth photo.  Have you ever seen the northern lights? There's lots of green in it.  I would be disappointed f I ordered northern lights and got something that didn't have a lot of green in it.

I know you probably aren't relieved by this but I think you got something better, more real.

I like the Maui surf and the pele fade.

Wow, that is absolutely amazing. Such a stunning body and stunning finish.

I agree with Rick2, the green looks way better than the more brownish, reddish color in their picture. Way better!

rick2 said:
To me what you got is better than what is in the warmoth photo.  Have you ever seen the northern lights? There's lots of green in it.  I would be disappointed f I ordered northern lights and got something that didn't have a lot of green in it.

I know you probably aren't relieved by this but I think you got something better, more real.

I like the Maui surf and the pele fade.

Lol yeah I see your point in that the actual northern lights have tons of green in it. But nonetheless I prefer the look of the picture with the more purple in it. I'll give it a few days regardless. I was torn between this and a few other finishes so I'm just a bit let down

In a similar vein... I spec'd an ebony fretboard for my neck, when I got it - it had all these light colored streaks through the wood.

I was kind of pissed because I was expecting a deep, uniform black. At first I even looked into getting black dye so I could dye it a solid black.

But then a lot of people on the these forums convinced me that what I had was, in fact, way better - as it was the woods natural grain coloring.

I decided not to dye it back then and over time have come to absolutely love it.

I get you might be disappointed about what you expected to get vs what actually arrived at your door. But - my advice would be that unless you
KNOW you hate it and won't be happy with it - give it some thought and see if it grows on you - because that is a sweet arse body you got there my friend.

-ORC

Christian Jones said:
I'd like to know if the OP kept this or not.

I didn't.  I returned it and felt pretty bad doing it because it was beautifully done. But that amount of green, and the shade, wasn't something I was really expecting. I know they can't guarantee it looks like just pictures, but it was a shade of green I didn't realize was in the colors used and I thought it was basically a purple guitar with hints of green.

They made it a point to let me know that normally they don't allow returns on the 40th anniversary colors but they said since the Rep I was emailing with didn't make that clear they would authorize the return.  This was also one of three guitars I've ordered from them this year, so not sure if that had anything to do with them hooking me up.  I'm going with Nebula Burst on the one that will replace this and they made it clear I better be prepared to live with it lol.  I'm cool with that. I wanted Nebula Bust originally and I should have stuck with it--and I like all the colors in Nebula Burst so if it's different from the pics I won't mind.  Plus it's a burst, which the Northern Lights isn't, so it should be easier to control the color pattern I would think.

They mentioned it would sell fast, which also helped them approve the return, so maybe it'll be up on the showcase soon if you like it.

I'd call that a win-win, you get a nebula burst, which you'll love, and someone will get an improved version of the northern lights.

rick2 said:
I'd call that a win-win, you get a nebula burst, which you'll love, and someone will get an improved version of the northern lights.

And there lies Warmoth's predicament. One person's improvement is another's "miss".  But yeah, I got lucky, they are a great company from everything I've seen from them.

I think this might be it: https://www.warmoth.com/Showcase/ShowcaseItem.aspx?Body=2&Shape=1&Path=Stratocaster&i=PS15316

Have to admit it really caught my eye the other day but I've got enough unfinished guitar projects... for now.

T89Rex said:
I think this might be it: https://www.warmoth.com/Showcase/ShowcaseItem.aspx?Body=2&Shape=1&Path=Stratocaster&i=PS15316

Have to admit it really caught my eye the other day but I've got enough unfinished guitar projects... for now.

Oh thanks for that I've been keeping a lookout. It's interesting because I've just been clicking in stock guitars then hitting the drop down to 200 to see them all and I haven't seen it come up. But when I click on Stratocaster on the left, there it is.

Mayfly said:
wow - that's really beautiful

I had to do a double take. It looks like a whole different guitar under their lights and photography. This has certainly been a learning experience

Back