New to nut filing

Hi Everyone, I have a few builds (2) under my belt but I've never done a detailed setup of a new neck, in particular filing the nut slots down when they are too shallow. Any recommendations for this for a newbie nut filer or just take it to a luthier? I'm asking because I did get one Warmoth neck recently where the slots were definitely too shallow. I understand why Warmoth errs on the too shallow side, no problem with that, it's smart. I have a strat build in the works and the roasted maple neck has a gorgeous grain to it. TUSQ nut. If it needs to be filed down would I be dumb to try it myself?

As well as the obvious tools such as gauged nut slotting files, a safe and precise way to go about it is with the Stewmac Safe Slot nut guard. Details of what it is and how to use it etc at the below page.

If in doubt about a job or if you are only going to do one or two jobs, you have to weigh up doing it yourself or sending it out.

This should also be in the Tech Talk sub forum. I have requested it to be moved.

Filing nuts is a job that takes some experience and an awful lof of patience. Its really easy to go cut too deep, then you need to replace the nut and start from scratch - Oh dear! One difficult aspect is the nut slots are all different sizes so they have a different feel when you cut them.

It really helps to use a feeler gauge to check the space under the strings at the first fret. Some people who do a lot of work on guitars claim they can feel the string height without using a feeler gauge, but IMO you need to use a feeler gauge. You must ensure the strings are seated at the full depth of the slot when you measure them, although I have overlooked this before - Oh dear!

You need a set of files that match the string gauge you intend to use, so there is some investment in tools. You should also think about what you are going to do if you mess it up and cut the slots too deep, which is a high possibility. These two aspects can make it more expensive that taking the job to a luthier in the first place. In my case I'm obsessed with doing these jobs myself, so I can't see it any other way.

Last edited:
...It really helps to use a feeler gauge to check the space under the strings at the first fret. Some people who do a lot of work on guitars claim they can feel the string height without using a feeler gauge, but IMO you need to use a feeler gauge. You must ensure the strings are seated at the full depth of the slot when you measure them, although I have overlooked this before - Oh dear!...
I was taught how to do it by feel and I can definitely attest to just knowing by feel but I recently picked up a set of hosco depth gauges and it has definitely helped me be faster at it.

With a TUSQ pre-slotted nut, I wouldn't file the slots at all to lower them. Assuming the radius is correct to match your neck, which it should be if you got this from Warmoth, I'd pop the nut out and just sand the bottom as needed. That's much easier to do than to file 6 slots, and also harder to screw up. I just take out a sheet of 400 grit sandpaper and, holding the nut as straight and level as possible, rub it across the paper. The key is to put it back on the guitar and check the height frequently. It's really easy to remove more material, but if you go to far you can't put that material back on! I'll leave the low and high E strings on while doing this, and if you have a tremolo bridge you don't even have to slacken the strings to slide the nut in and out, you can just press the bar down to accomplish this. I also like to sand the top ends nice and smooth. Once the height + shape is done, just glue it in place and enjoy! I've done it this way with many TUSQ nuts, only takes a something like 10 or 15 min, give or take depending on how much material you need to remove and how frequently you check. Good luck!

The difficulty with filing the bottom of the nut is you have to remove it first. Warmoth seems to preclude this option because it is securely glued in. You may need use a sledge hammer to remove the nut in one-piece, although some obvious risk involved as far as damage to the neck :ROFLMAO:.

Back