New roasted ash body, help me decide on a color please

waygorked

My new roasted ash Jazzcaster body arrived yesterday. I'm building something akin to a B3 Phoenix, with a telecaster bridge and Lollar Firebird pickups for the middle and neck with a coil split. The neck will be maple. I was originally hoping to do a Mary Kaye white finish on a standard swamp ash body with a maple neck for this guitar, but I'm concerned about how that would look with the darker wood. Does that still seem possible?

The grain on the body is stunning, and I'd like to preserve it to some extent. I'm not spraying anything, as I have a bad allergy to lacquer. I did a Wudtone Mary Kaye finish on another ash body that turned out great, which was my original plan. I have done tons of Tru Oil finishes that I've been happy with as well. I am open to other color suggestions that would work with the maple neck, and lean towards vintage looks.

Any suggestions?

I'm partial to transparent red. It really looks good with the roasted swamp ash. That said, RSA just looks good after you put any color transparent finish on it.

Here's the trans red on RSA.

Attachments

• PickguardR1024x768.jpg
    PickguardR1024x768.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 897
Rgand, I still think that's one of the nicest finishes I'v ever seen. Works especialy well with the plain black guard.

I second the nomination: Transparent Red!  :headbang:

It seems to me that RSA works really well under most transparent finishes (definitely including simple clear), but not the 2 classic translucents, butterscotch blonde and Mary Kaye white.

Doubtless somebody will now provide amazing looking examples of both, but from what I've seen (including a mahogany-bodied Fender in BB I owned) they don't generally work with darker woods.

If you're going with Wudtone, I'd tend to stick with the amber/brown/red colours so you're working with the starting colour of the body rather than against it, if that makes any sense to you. I did a (non-roasted) ash body with their 'surfer girl' kit and it seemed like a bit of a fight!

I've got a RSA bass done in trans red, I can attest that it is fabulous.

Jk70D4n.jpg

I'm also liking the black/clear burst over RSA.  To me, that looks "vintage."

PS12748A.jpg

Every time I see that thing I get envious all over again, and I don't even play bass. Lovely piece of work.

Those red finishes look fantastic, but red's not for me. I'd really like to take a shot at Mary Kaye again. How would RSA look bleached?

waygorked said:
Those red finishes look fantastic, but red's not for me. I'd really like to take a shot at Mary Kaye again. How would RSA look bleached?

Like swamp ash.  :evil4:

Trans Green would look nice on roasted ash I think. :icon_scratch:

Here's one in the showcase, in butterscotch blonde.  Personally, I think the lighter finishes on RSA are not as pleasing.

PS12632C.jpg

Thanks for all the suggestions. The tobacco burst thing may work. Those reds look amazing, but not what I'm after.

I'm still leaning towards more of a vintage finish. I built a swamp ash Jazzcaster a while back with dual humbuckers that is an absolutely fantastic guitar, and looks great with a Wudtone Mary Kaye white finish. I bought this RSA body to swap out the dual HB body and get a proper telecaster bridge back in the mix. I ordered both a tort and a black pickguard, assuming that my default would be to simply hit it with Tru Oil and wind up with something approaching an old blackguard if I can't pull off the Mary Kaye thing. Ideally, I'd love to do Mary Kaye sonic blue.

That transparent brown just looks delicious! I wonder if I could get Santa Claus to make a special trip for my birthday?

ghotiphry said:
Here's one in the showcase, in butterscotch blonde.  Personally, I think the lighter finishes on RSA are not as pleasing.

PS12632C.jpg
You're right. That doesn't do the same as it does on un-roasted. Becomes more of a Clam Lip Orange or something.

From "Butterscotch Blonde" to almost "Chai Latte".

chai-latte.jpg

I only know what that is because my wife drinks them.  Promise.  :icon_biggrin:

I've got a RSA bass done in trans red, I can attest that it is fabulous.

Jk70D4n.jpg

I'm also liking the black/clear burst over RSA. To me, that looks "vintage."

PS12748A.jpg
I’m planning on doing a roasted Ash body with a quilt top veneer and I want to do it in red. Your bass came out wonderful. Did you use dye and clearcoat or did you shoot a tinted lacquer?7D076B6E-5BC4-43D7-B88E-7B1A887763E6.jpeg427229ED-94EA-4358-A4C3-E4476452C613.jpeg

You're right. That doesn't do the same as it does on un-roasted. Becomes more of a Clam Lip Orange or something.
I have never heard of clam lip orange before, is that a searchable term?

I’m planning on doing a roasted Ash body with a quilt top veneer and I want to do it in red. Your bass came out wonderful. Did you use dye and clearcoat or did you shoot a tinted lacquer?

In case ghotiphry is not on the forum for a while. As I recall, that is a Warmoth finish on that bass.

(It is also usually better not to post in older zombie threads)

Sorry about the post on a zombie thread. I just thought it would be easier than starting a new one.

Actually I've seen clams with orange things that look like lips. And they are tasty steamed.

Back