New pups, new pickguard on my already new Warmoth

Tyrannocaster

Just found this sub-forum and wow, there is some good stuff posted here.

I got my third Warmoth last month and I've been sorting it out, including dumping the first set of pickups I put in it, and subbing in a new pg at the same time. I recorded this a few days ago, right after I put it back together and gave it a new set of strings, something I really need to do more often. The guitar is a Strat with a Boatneck baked maple neck, Gotoh trem and LSR nut, locking Schallers and now, a Kinman Astound in the bridge and some unknown cheap ceramic mag pups in the neck and middle. I have two Strats with single coil ceramic mag pups in the neck and pups now, and I really like both of them very much. On this piece, I used only the neck + middle.

A note on the cheap pups: I got started with this idea by my '94 MIM Strat Special, which had a HB in the bridge and two really, really nice sounding ceramic mag pups in the other two slots. The bridge pup sucked and I replaced it, but those other two...they're interesting. Their polepiece spacing is different from everybody else's, so you have to use the original pup covers; nobody else's will fit right. Also, the polepiece stagger is different in each pup. I ended up wiring that guitar for the HB (with a split switch), the middle plus the HB, and the neck plus the middle, all done with a three way switch instead of the usual five way. It's a great guitar! So in a way, I was following that formula, but the Kinman sounds nothing like the Dimarzio SD I put in the Special, and I don't even know who made these ceramic mag pups, LOL. But I like them, so for now, they're in.

Anyway, here's the little tune:
https://soundcloud.com/tyrannocaster-rex/arlington

Attachments

• WarburstP1050689-720.jpg
    WarburstP1050689-720.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 185
Also, how do you post these soundcloud files so they show up as a widget and not just a link? I hardly use my account because I filled it up a couple of years ago and I just send links to friends. (I have to delete something every time I post something, LOL.) It would be nice if it shows the image and audio graph like I see other people doing.

That is really tasty, I dig it! I like the panning, it adds a ton of character and kind of made my eyes go crossed  :laughing7:

As for inserting the SoundCloud widget, you'll find an orange SoundCloud button above the emojis when you are typing a comment. Clicking it will insert a couple of soundcloud tags in brackets into your text. Just paste the SoundCloud link between the brackets and it will load as the player:

[soundcloud] https://soundcloud.com/tyrannocaster-rex/arlington?ref=clipboard&p=i&c=0[/soundcloud]

(If you click "quote" on this post you should be able to see exactly what it looks like.)

Ha, I haven't listened to it through earphones, but I suppose it might be a bit like the end of Interstellar Overdrive that way. :laughing7: I don't have any pedals, and I really would have liked to use a Univibe but the best I could do was a post-recording VST plugin (Tube Modulator), which doesn't sound like a Univibe to me, but I like what it does sound like.

Thank you for explaining the Soundcloud trick to me. Gonna try it out right now, using another thing from this new Warmoth:

[soundcloud]https://soundcloud.com/tyrannocaster-rex/the-234-slalom[/soundcloud]

Hey, hey! I hadn't noticed that little icon up there.

Also, I realized that in my post about the cheap ceramic pups that I didn't actually specify that they have to be good sounding, LOL. I have a ton of old pickups with ceramic mags that sound like crap!

Those are both outstanding. Good playing. Interesting to the end. Glad you found your way here.

Back