New Neck - Winner

PhilHill

I received my new Tele neck yesterday and I'm quite a happy camper. While it's nothing fancy as far as wood species or grain, I opted for plain old maple, none the less it's a thing of beauty.
Both the fretboard and the neck are very nice cuts of said maple, the glueing and sanding are quite well done and well finished. The satin Nitro is very well done. Frets are well seated and the ends were done better than I have seen on some expensive factory guitars. The nut is seated properly and all I will have to do is finalize the string slots for height. Just the way I like. No sharp corners anywhere.
The only possible nitpick I could have is with the tuner holes. The drilling is clean with no tearout either front or back, however the countersunk hole in the back of the peghead could stand to be a few thousands smaller for the Grovers I have. It may well be the Grovers are at the bottom of their tolerance on the castings and the holes at the top of the limit. But it's nowhere near a deal breaker and nothing I can't deal with. Like I said, just a nitpick.
All told, as I said, I'm quite happy. Well done Warmoth, well done. 

Attachments

• 20191223_114037.jpg
    20191223_114037.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 317
  • 20191223_114102.jpg
    20191223_114102.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 282
Rgand said:
That's a nice neck. Congratulations.
Thanks. Now I just have to manage to get the body finished. Had to start over twice now, once because of my OCD, and the second time because of an accident involving my 3 1/2 yr old grandniece's curiosity.  It's looking like the third times the charm so far though. (fingers crossed)

Rgand said:
Maybe having a 3-1/2 year old's touch on it would be cool.
I see your point, and in a way your right I think.
It was sitting on my bench on top of a box as I had just applied a fresh coat of Tru Oil to the top of it about five minutes prior. She managed to knock it off while trying to see it, and of course, it landed face down on the floor. Several tools that were on the bench around it fell on top of the back and she then danced on them for a minute or two trying to get traction for an escape run. It was my own fault for not securing the door so she couldn't get in the room so I just assured her that it was an accident and I still love her, ( You have to do that kinda stuff with little people.) Then I took two stiff shot's of bourbon and examined the damage, decided I can fix this, and started in with the sanding.
The whole thing forced me to rethink the color scheme and I believe that I came up with something better than before, we'll see... :dontknow:

Sorry to hear about your mishap. Finish problems can be so disappointing - lotta work can get wasted in no time. But, it sounds like it's going to work out for you anyway, so good luck with that. Can't wait to see the results.

Cagey said:
Sorry to hear about your mishap. Finish problems can be so disappointing - lotta work can get wasted in no time. But, it sounds like it's going to work out for you anyway, so good luck with that. Can't wait to see the results.
Thanks. Well it resulted in a lot more sanding mainly, I swear I've taken a 1/16 of an inch off this thing since I got it. But hey, I can use the exercise been sitting on my behind too much the last couple years.

Rick said:
Tru oil is easy to fix
Yes the front wasn't bad to deal with at all. A little mineral spirits, a little fine sanding, and all was good.
The back side, with the gouges was another matter entirely.  :tard:

If they’re not too deep they can be brought level, sure there will be a witness line, but it’ll be flat and have character

Rick said:
If they’re not too deep they can be brought level, sure there will be a witness line, but it’ll be flat and have character

Quite true. A little steam in the right place can do wonders sometimes, swell it up and sand it out we used to say.
And this thing is definitely going to have character. And my grandniece is definitely a character....

Or you can put drops of tru oil into the gouge and let it dry a day or two then sand with 0000 steel wool.

Rick said:
Or you can put drops of tru oil into the gouge and let it dry a day or two then sand with 0000 steel wool.

If there is any depth to a gouge, I doubt that would work.

Back