New Neck Arrival! '59 Tiltback Gibson Conversion

bigfatpaul

Ordered September 4, arrived today (November 12) - no complaints here.

Looks fantastic. Tiltback Gibson Conversion, Warmoth headstock, '59 profile in roasted flame maple with unique choice pao ferro fretboard, stainless frets, cream binding and Nightswan inlays.

Question for those with more knowledge than me: if I was to finish the neck with something like Tru Oil, would that make the flames pop more? (I assume so). I'd been planning on just burnishing the neck to make it super smooth, but am now curious about highlighting the flaming more if I can.

This is going to get married to a Figured Koa (unique choice) hollow body Tele, once I get that one in the mail. No word on shipping for that yet, ordered on September 7, so I'm hoping any day now....

Attachments

• IMG_4598front.jpg
    IMG_4598front.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 238
  • IMG_4599back.jpg
    IMG_4599back.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 222
Oil should pop it, I'd go tung (I know, bi surprise! ;-) ), a single layer of tung oil will be thinner, the one layer I put on mine feels exactly the same as it were burnished without any finish.

Thanks to you both.

Brief follow-up; if I do apply a light coat (of either Tung or Tru Oil - likely leaning on the Tru Oil side, as I've got it on hand), should I not apply it to the Pro Ferro fretboard? My initial plan is to not do the fretboard, but rather just condition it as I do other fretboards with cleaner, etc., and just oil the back of the neck and the front of the headstock (i.e. the flamed roasted maple).

Thanks again!

I would not put it on that type of fretboard. But I do put Tru-oil on the sides of a fretboard and on the fretboard beyond from the side of the nut slot towards the headstock. Though that last part would not apply in your case due to the tiltback construction.

Just an update of the after phots - this is after about 5 light coats of Tru Oil and a very light coat of Birchwood Casey Gun Wax. Really made the flames pop out, and it's still as smooth as can be (and not sticky/tacky). Very happy.

Attachments

• TruOil Neck.jpg
    TruOil Neck.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 166
bigfatpaul said:
Question for those with more knowledge than me: if I was to finish the neck with something like Tru Oil, would that make the flames pop more? (I assume so). I'd been planning on just burnishing the neck to make it super smooth, but am now curious about highlighting the flaming more if I can.

The flame will CONTRAST more, which i think is an important distinction to make when discussing "pop." The oil will make certain parts appear darker while others take on the gemstone like reflectivity.

These are before, and afters of my roasted maple neck. Sanded up to 2k, very limited coats of true oil (5) and not altogether heavily applied either. Then finished with Warwick Surface Finisher (beeswax) Only the final picture is oiled/waxed.

Attachments

• 8473444e44496d0eb23e1ef5d7504a2ef68308bd-1.jpg
    8473444e44496d0eb23e1ef5d7504a2ef68308bd-1.jpg
    585.2 KB · Views: 105
  • ecaff8112881eb1ec7d01dd2a54872c4d2dd5813-1.jpg
    ecaff8112881eb1ec7d01dd2a54872c4d2dd5813-1.jpg
    715.5 KB · Views: 94
  • bass2.jpg
    bass2.jpg
    554.8 KB · Views: 98
  • BeagJonBass2.jpg
    BeagJonBass2.jpg