New Cabinets (aka My Wife Telling Me to Calm Down)

NedRyerson

We're getting our kitchen remodeled right now, and the cabinets were just installed.  We were checking out everything and when I opened one of the drawers, I noticed that the cabinet maker used some flame maple pieces.  Instantly thought that should've been a guitar neck.  I then picked out other pieces in the other drawers that had some noticeable figuring.

That's when my wife chuckled and gently admonished me to calm down.  :laughing7:

Attachments

• 2021-08-10 17.19.01.jpg
    2021-08-10 17.19.01.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 152
iu

agreed.  We just had out kitchen remodeled.  The interior of the cabs used some figured wood.  AMAZING!

Being a guitar nerd and not a jock, I spent a bit of time in gym class staring at the beautiful bits of flame, birdseye and quilt in the maple of the gym floor.

It's expensive partly because it's less common, but also because someone had to separate it. Gym floors are literally "run of the mill"

I had a similar moment with my son at The Paramount Theater in Oakland, Ca some years ago.
It turns out that the foyer to the men’s room, the foyer alone is about 30’ L x 15’ W x 12’ tall, floor to ceiling  with bookmatched laminate cuts of 5A quilted maple.  We sat there in awe as we commented that how many instruments we could yield out of that much maple.

A friend once worked on a construction project in the Congo. They were using 2" thick slabs of mahogany for concrete forms.  Because it was local and available. SPF or OSB would be more expensive there than the mahogany.

Back