New 5-String Z-Bass...

Okay....So instead of playing...I decided to be responsible and mow the lawn...Ya know...That mess of green stuff in the back yard that gets up to your knees if you neglect it too much.  The neighbors were starting to look at me funny.

Sooooo...There was some debate about finishes for necks.  I'm loving the way the neck wood is feeling raw.  Now I know that doesn't really fly with Warmoth...But I'm wondering...What can I apply to the neck that will feel close to the same as the raw wood??  (I just love feeling my wood!)

Anybody have any thoughts on body finishes?

Thanks!

NonsenseTele said:
It's looking great!

Wyliee said:
NonsenseTele said:
Depending on the oil, IIRC... Think Tung Oil is alright, or Tru-oil :dontknow:

Tung oil - no.  Tru oil - yes.

Thanks Eric, couldn't remember! :)

I've been experimenting with different approaches to a tru-oil finish on maple.  What I am currently doing is taking the neck to 600 grit sandpaper.  (600 grit is too fine for spray on finishes to bite, but seems to work quite well with tru-oil.)  Apply a thin coat of tru-oil, wait 24 hrs and knock the finish down a bit with 1200 grit (or 0000 steel wool).  Repeat 5 more times for a total of 6 coats.  Sand with 1500 grit and finally with 6000 grit.  Let the neck sit a few days to cure.

I recently bought a Z5 with jazz bass pickups from warmoth, as well.  I'd say you have pretty good taste  :laughing11: :laughing7:

Slightly OT: does anyone know if a Carvin N522 neck would fit the deluxe 5 neck pocket?  The specs look pretty close.

How does your Z bass feel when your seated? Does the lower horn dig into your leg? Does the body shape make the neck extend farther from your body than other shapes would when playing seated?

Sooo....I played my first show with the Z-Bass!

38568_470679841678_95010021678_6457688_541636_n.jpg

First off....The playability is great!  Balance is good, and it's by far the easiest bass to move around with I've ever played.  I'm in love!!  If I had my way I'd probably change the neck profile a bit, but as-is...I really like this bass and see a couple more of them in my future.

James

kimbass said:
How does your Z bass feel when your seated? Does the lower horn dig into your leg? Does the body shape make the neck extend farther from your body than other shapes would when playing seated?

Seated playing with this bass isn't the best.  The lower horn can dig in depending on how you sit but I find it to be somewhat tolerable.  I'm in love with how it feels standing though.  From sitting down with the instrument, I had some reservations about the edge where your right forearm would come across the body but it's not an issue when standing.  The deep body routes are awesome and the small size is perfect for me.

I would say that if you're a mainly sitting player, this might not be a good instrument for you.  If most of your playing is standing up and you're a bit on the small side, this could quite possibly be the best bass for you.

Two refinements would make this bass perfect for both standing and sitting...The lower horn needs to gracefully extend out instead of curling back and the edge where the forearm/wrist hit the body should be more rounded instead of more squared.

Aside from it's somewhat radical look...I'm wondering why this body style never caught.  It was originally made by Zeta?

James

Big V - AKA "The other guy from Norway" said:
Awesome! :blob7:
What's the name of your band? :glasses9:

We're called Superunknown.  You can find us on MySpace and Facebook @superunknownmusic

SUBass said:
Big V - AKA "The other guy from Norway" said:
Awesome! :blob7:
What's the name of your band? :glasses9:

We're called Superunknown.  You can find us on MySpace and Facebook @superunknownmusic
Never heard of them

Sorry.  :icon_jokercolor:

Back