Neon P5 Soloist

ThePhilosopher

So, this beast is finally put together and wired up. It's tuned F-E in fifths, a tuning I really enjoy playing in and plays really well. I'm a fan of the roasted maple neck (this is my first foray into the roasted woods). Full specs are below the photos (I hope you brought some shades).
WarmothSolo_0006.jpg

WarmothSolo_0007.jpg

WarmothSolo_0008.jpg

WarmothSolo_0009.jpg

Specs:
Body Wood: Alder
Bridge: Wilkinson VS100
Finish: Neon Chartreuse
Hardware Color: Black
Pickups: Kiesel Lithium
Electronics: 1v/1t, 5-way switch, kill switch
Tuners: Hipshot Locking
Scale: 28 5/8"
Neck Wood: Roasted Maple
Fingerboard Wood: Roasted Maple
Nut Width: 1-11/16"
Back Shape: Standard thin
Fret Size: 6100

F to e? Interesting. Have you been playing long with that kind of tuning? How about chords? You must have invented some new fingerings for the traditional chords.  :)

I go the other way. Been playing E-f almost exclusively for about 5 years now. I keep my acoustic in standard tuning. I can still bang out chord in standard tuning but anything melodic, I'm lost without a constant interval tuning anymore

Logrinn said:
F to e? Interesting. Have you been playing long with that kind of tuning? How about chords? You must have invented some new fingerings for the traditional chords.  :)

I've been playing in fifths tuning for about 4 years now on various guitars. Most of the traditional shapes are of course out the window, but major/minor triads and their extensions are barre chords across the strings. One of my main reasons to play in this tuning is to avoid traditional shapes and structures to try and play out of my box and usual patterns.

Some extended chords:

Dm11
E--3--
A--3--
D--3--
G--2--
C--2--
F-----

D11
E--3--
A--3--
D--4--
G--2--
C--2--
F-----

Dmaj11
E--3--
A--4--
D--4--
G--2--
C--2--
F-----

Dm13
E--4--
A--3--
D--3--
G--2--
C--2--
F-----

D13
E--4--
A--3--
D--4--
G--2--
C--2--
F-----

Dmaj13
E--4--
A--4--
D--4--
G--2--
C--2--
F-----

Very cool. Thank you for this. I'm going to try this. Will be very interesting to see how it feels.  :icon_thumright:

The low F is quite a long way down if you're not prepared with the proper string gauge; there's nothing like covering the range of an 8 string+1 semi-tone on 6 strings.

ThePhilosopher said:
The low F is quite a long way down if you're not prepared with the proper string gauge; there's nothing like covering the range of an 8 string+1 semi-tone on 6 strings.

I've used and like P4, but never tried P5.  Mind if I ask what string gauges you use to pull that off?

ThePhilosopher said:

^^^
This!

(Who needs more strings?  :laughing7:)

:icon_thumright:

zebra said:
ThePhilosopher said:

I've used and like P4, but never tried P5.  Mind if I ask what string gauges you use to pull that off?

String gauges: 9,14,24,36,56,80.
I think the 80 is a little too heavy for me, but it's not terrible.

I like the concept.

Clean tone was nice, but I'd back off of the gain & up the mids on the crunch, just for better clarity in cutting through the mix.

I really like how this project turned out, nice job!

Logrinn said:
ThePhilosopher said:

^^^
This!

(Who needs more strings?  :laughing7:)

:icon_thumright:

I wanted to try major thirds on a seven string, but the shapes start getting too repetitive (and the bigger deal - I can't get my head around anything not based in fourths)

TonyFlyingSquirrel said:
I like the concept.

Clean tone was nice, but I'd back off of the gain & up the mids on the crunch, just for better clarity in cutting through the mix.

I really like how this project turned out, nice job!

Thanks, I haven't tweaked my patches for this guitar. It's quite different from my other mahogany guitars for sure.

Back