Need VOIP and networking input

Wyliee

Hi gang,

I need to let the cat out of the bag on one of our larger projects as I need help that is outside of my skillset.

bldg_2.jpg
bldg_3.jpg

We're expanding and I've been tasked with getting the buildings linked, the network infrastructure designed/built and a new phone system installed. 

The most immediate need is running the network wiring.  I've got most of the drop points worked out. I'm going to go CAT6, but I'm uncertain shielded/unshielded.  The vast majority will be in the walls, with some running overhead in the shop.  As far as I can tell code-wise, PVC should be fine as nothing is being run in drop ceilings or ducting.  Is that solid logic so far?  Our crew will pull the wiring and I still need to hire someone local that can do the terminations and testing.  What type of wiring would you recommend?

I have access to a trench between the two new buildings and was leaning towards just running CAT6 between the them, but am starting to wonder about the benefits of fiber.  More money, but ultimately better and faster?  The two buildings are only separated by @ 50 ft.  BTW, we'll still have the current building which will be connected to the others via VPN. (Only minimal data requirements there.)

Lastly is telco.  VOIP really seems to be the way to go and I've been looking at ShoreTel, Avaya (dang they're expensive!!), CudaTel and a 3CX system.  I'm not a phone or Linux guy, so I'm not looking to part something together.  It needs to be easily supportable.  If you have experience with these systems, please email me at eric@warmoth.com

Back