Need help with color and finish choice! **UPDATED**

vetteman

Working on my most recent build, that started with a partially routed Alder Warmoth blank.  Have cut it to shape, routed out a rear control cavity and rounded over the top and bottom edges of the body.  I think I'll just use the tele bridge pickup and maybe cover the neck with a round "sound hole" looking piece, along the lines of Lindsay Buckinghams guitar.  I need input from the experts here as to what color or finish to go with.  Thought about a 50's blonde semi-transparent, but I'm kind of leaning towards painting it the same color as my truck, that GM light pewter (really more of a champagne color) that has just a bit of metallic shine to it.  The neck is also a Warmoth piece, made from Padouk, and it really is as reddish orange as it looks!  Apparently the wood will darken with time, so I've ruled out any red or orange body colors.  Let me know what you think, I'm brain locked with all the choices.

Attachments

• DSCN0270.JPG
    DSCN0270.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 322
  • DSCN0271.JPG
    DSCN0271.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 311
  • DSCN0272.JPG
    DSCN0272.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 311
  • DSCN0273.JPG
    DSCN0273.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 298
Nice, clean shape. I also would think clear or vintage tint for the finish.

Well I decided to try the metallic paint finish on it.  Went with Duplicolor GM Light Pewter Metallic and Minwax semigloss laquer clearcoat.  Turned out ok after wet sanding and buffing.  Hope you like it!  :guitaristgif:

Attachments

• DSCN0280.JPG
    DSCN0280.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 336
  • DSCN0276.JPG
    DSCN0276.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 316
Back