Need help picking out a pickup

Rick

Epic Member
I'm going to get either a DiMarzio PAF 36th Anniversary Bridge, or a PAF Master Bridge, in my next build, but I was wondering whether to mate the Bridge with the corresponding same model, or using a EJ Custom Neck or Bridge in the neck postition. 

I like the EJ Neck, and wonder if there would be volume incapatability issues, with say the 36th Anniversay.  I'm thinking the EJ Bridge would work in the neck too.

Any thoughts much appreciated.

If those were the pickups I am choosing from, I'd run the anniversary in the bridge and an ej custom bridge model in the neck. The outputs wont be evenly matched, your bridge will be a little bit hotter, but they should still be close enough that they'll play nice together.

Thanks Acrylic ...
Your post made think about a PAF 36th Anniversary Neck in the Bridge postition, and a an EJ Custom Bridge in the neck postion ... or is that crazy?

I've not found the volume difference between the 36th Bridge and lower-output models like the Bluesbucker and PAF Master neck to be enough to cause problems; getting even output out of both positions is within the range that adjusting the pickup height can take care of. I haven't paired either EJ pickup with the 36th but I've used them in other guitars with Air Classics, SD '59s and Pearly Gates Plus, and Gibson Burstbuckers, to know they too aren't also so much weaker that getting matched output will be a problem. I haven't tried the PAF Master Bridge yet but given DiMarzio rate it weaker than the 36th Bridge, I imagine that will be just as easy if not easier to match. FWIW I've never found the EJ Bridge to actually be that much hotter than the neck, just has a tiny bit more 'thump' to its tone, so I'd pick them based on the EQ you want rather than hoping the Bridge might have noticeably more output. 

In other words, unless you're very precious about having your pickups at a specific height for aesthetic reasons, don't worry about it. Any of the pickups you're looking at will match up in output if you just raise the neck and lower the bridge a little. 

That said, the purpose of both the 36th Bridge and PAF Master Bridge is to add some heat and a touch more body to the standard PAF tone balance, while the purpose of the EJs is to get much less volume and a slightly emptier balance, so trying to mix the two and equalise their volumes sort of defeats the point of each design. Personally I'd either embrace their differences and purposefully not try to balance their output, or I'd pick one type of tone over the other and get a properly matched set (i.e. two 36th/Masters or two EJs).

You'll be able to balance them, 's just why work harder to balance two very different pickups when you can just buy two similar pickups, or let the different pickups truly be different?

I think I've settled on my pups:

Neck: Dimarzio  Air Classic Neck DP190 (5.5, 4.5, 5.5) Output 206 Alnico 5, resistance 8.34 KoHms (1995) Nickel Cover

Bridge: Dimarzio PAF 36th anniversary Neck DP103 (5.5, 6.0, 5.5) Output 250, Alnico 5, resistance 7.31 Kohm (2008) Nickel Cover

Back