need guidance, finishing Alder body and Maple/Rosewood neck with reranch nitro

huskerdrew

Hi guys, I'm a long time lurker, first time poster.

I'm planning a short scale(30") Precision Bass build with an Alder Body and Maple neck with Rosewood board. I'll be doing Fiesta Red Body and Headstock and Vintage Tint Satin on the neck. Having Warmoth finish them would be about $300; whereas, theoretically I could do it myself with Reranch supplies for a third of that. However, I'm overwhelmed by the process and uncertainty. So, precisely what supplies do I need and what would the steps of the process be? Please provide as much detail as possible, thanks!

I'm so excited for the build and can't wait to begin the project.

Fiesta Red Alder Body
Tortoise Pickguard
Maple/Rosewood Vintage Tint Satin/matching headstock neck
Lollar 10% overwound Precision Bass Pickups
gotoh 201 Bridge
Schaller BML Light Tuning Heads
CTS Pots, Orange Drop Cap, Switchcraft Jack

Any guidance would be deeply appreciated!

Not that hard really.  I have used re-ranch with success but I have found their aerosols splatter a bit.  I have found keeping a rag soaked in thinner and wiping the nozzle every few minutes helps.

Alder does not need grain filled but using a sanding sealer or primer that works with nitro helps.  Apply the sealer/primer and sand with 220.  Then apply again before adding the color. 

Red is one of those colors you really have to be careful to spray even.  I would spend the extra few bucks and have a second can handy if the coat is not even.  This is one reason what a good sanding primer in white is a good idea.  I think re-ranch has one.

You can then clear.  Get two cans.  I like to spray the first can leaving several hours in between coats.  Some people even wait days but I think that is a bit much.  Let it build.  I often use the 1st can for the neck and body to fill any minor pores in the alder. Let it dry and then level sand with 600 grit.  Then spray a few final coats with the second can.  You should not need the entire thing. Let it dry several weeks.  Nitro shrinks so it takes some time.  I like to hang the body in a small room.  When you no longer smell the nitro it is likely cured.  4 weeks is a my usual timeframe.

If you technique is good you can WET sand...800...1000...2000..3000 and polish.

That is just my experience with re-ranch.  Others may differ.

Back