Neck Side Truss Adjustment

Ozopart

Two quick questions: (1) I didn't see the instructions not to adjust the side adjustment while strings were in tune. Should I worry about that? (2) My string action is closer to the frets near the head and a bit further away near the body, is that a problem. There isn't any buzz but I am new to this and would prefer to get the action correct without taking the guitar to a shop for adjustment. Thanks!

1.) I've done small adjustments to the side truss rod under tension before and it didn't cause any problems

2.) This is normal. The neck should be very slightly bowed under the sting tension, not perfectly staight.

I'd recommend watching some setup demo videos on Youtube if you haven't done many setups before

Thanks for easing my mind on that! I will definitely watch some videos on setup. Up till now I have managed doing just that for other issues like adjusting my Gotoh bridge, hipshot tuners, etc. Now I just need to relearn how to play electric guitar, it is a lot different to me than acoustic which is what I have been playing for decades now.

I recommend  a book, guitar player repair guide by Dan erlewine.  Everything guitarist should have it in their library.

Or by the same author - "How to Make Your Electric Guitar Play Great" which may be more focussed to what you need to know.

I usually just dump the whammy all the way down with one hand while adjusting the side adjuster with the other.  I haven't had any problems yet.

Back