My Warmoth Basses

ghotiphry

Well, most of them are jazz basses.

2p3Xyqb.jpg

:kewlpics:

That one with the Lace Alumitones what do the little switches do? And I've noticed you've got the P pickups the 'wrong way' around according to http://www.lacemusic.com/pdf/7.pdf did you need to do that to get the phase correct with the J-Pickup?

I'm asking as it's very similar to what I'm doing with my Seafoam green Pazz bass  :turtle:

It's a John East J-Retro Deluxe preamp.  One switch engages both pickups in an equal mix.  The other switch bypasses the preamp and puts it into passive mode.  They call it a "get-you-out-of-trouble" switch.

I don't think I've got the pickups in the wrong way.  I remember reading that by "rearranging" the pickups they can be used for 5 and 6 string basses.  So that just seemed to be the "normal" orientation for a 4 string.  Had nothing to do with phase.  I didn't even try them in any other orientation.

And I've noticed you've got the P pickups the 'wrong way' around according to http://www.lacemusic.com/pdf/7.pdf

You realize that the Lace drawing shows the electronics from THE BACKSIDE of the bass? The pickups are in the same sacred position Saint Leo placed them.

Rgand said:
ghotiphry said:
Logrinn said:
And which one is your favourite?

The white '54 P.  Dammit anyway.
Yeah, that darned GOM winner, anyway. :icon_biggrin: :icon_thumright:

Well, I'm just saying, all these jazz basses and my favorite is the precision.  It feels better and sounds better than all the others.

ghotiphry said:
Rgand said:
ghotiphry said:
Logrinn said:
And which one is your favourite?

The white '54 P.  Dammit anyway.
Yeah, that darned GOM winner, anyway. :icon_biggrin: :icon_thumright:

Well, I'm just saying, all these jazz basses and my favorite is the precision.  It feels better and sounds better than all the others.
It is a beauty. Maybe you need to make another one or two of that design?

AirCap said:
And I've noticed you've got the P pickups the 'wrong way' around according to http://www.lacemusic.com/pdf/7.pdf

You realize that the Lace drawing shows the electronics from THE BACKSIDE of the bass? The pickups are in the same sacred position Saint Leo placed them.

Look again at the link, gaze upon at the T shape of the Chrome and the position of the magnets for the 4, 5 and 6 string setups, AND DESPAIR!

Sorry, what was I talking about? Actually, given the lace pickups are two separate humbuckers and if all those shapes are right, then there can't be any phase issues with itself, so it should be fine. Also can't see there being any problem in having it 6 string setup on 4 string either, possibly a bit of cross talk from the middle strings onto the other magnet, but meh, so wut?

Each one's a beauty Brother. I ain't a "bass guy", but I'd be proud to own any one of them!  :headbang:

I'm a guitarist. I dabble in bass. But I'll freely admit - basses do the coffee table wood thing with such panache that the guitars just stare in envy. I don't know why it's this way. Sure I've seen nice wood on guitars, but on a bass it just not even in the same league.

swarfrat said:
I'm a guitarist. I dabble in bass. But I'll freely admit - basses do the coffee table wood thing with such panache that the guitars just stare in envy. I don't know why it's this way. Sure I've seen nice wood on guitars, but on a bass it just not even in the same league.

I know what you mean, and I don't know why that is, either. I still have some guitars with nice tops, but the real "coffee table" units have all been sold.

I suspect it has something to do with excess complexity. Guitars have more strings/knobs, more complex bridges, and everything is in closer proximity. Throw in a complex wood figure, and maybe the mind rebels. I know trying to mate highly figured necks with similar bodies is too much, so it stand to reason that adding a bunch more mechanical/electrical complexity takes you in the same direction. You can't get your mind around the whole package in an instinctive "first glance" way, which is sorta necessary to be comfortable enough to be creative and to manage in an efficient manner.

Basses, on the other hand, are relatively simple, and larger. So, they can afford to be pretty. Pretty doesn't overwhelm in their case.

But, I'm just guessing.

In any case, that's a fine stable of basses and there doesn't appear to be any electrical design duplication, so I'm sure they all sound unique unto themselves and are therefore justifiable. In other words, they're not just a "collection", they're a toolbox.

Back