My very First Guitar Build

ChrisPBacon

Howdy Ladies and Gentlemen! I need to start off by thanking the kind folks here and at Warmoth for all of the advice I have received! It took a good while working the 9-5 to get the money required to get all this together and even longer doing as much research as I possibly can to be confident to do it myself!

The Warmoth Neck just arrived yesterday, and was a shock to me since I ordered it in late March. A few days before all this wildness began! Anyways, I'm sending it off to the good folks at MJT to have the final Nitro finish be applied to it. In the following weeks, I'm gonna order the hardware and electronics I need for the build and slowly work on little bits at a time before slapping it all together. If you guys are interested in how it goes or want to give even more advice, I can make a new topic as I begin more work on it.

In the meantime, I would like to share a picture of me enjoying the new neck and body mock-up and would like to hear your thoughts and advice for my future endeavors! Hopefully this brightens the day for some of you guys during these hard and strange times. I'm also going to post another thread when the whole thing is done and if I can find a way, post a sound demo too!

Attachments

• This_better_Work_Or_else.jpg
    This_better_Work_Or_else.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 554
Edit: To explain the filename, I had tried posting the pic several times trying to save as a png or jpg only to find that it was too large or just wasn't working, so I opened it with paint and then saved as a .jpg

Despite my apparent young age, I'm not so great with technology

Looks good Mr Bacon, but I have to ask why would you send a finished body to MJT to put nitro on it?

I am perplexed as it is already finished and looked fine as it is.

stratamania said:
Looks good Mr Bacon, but I have to ask why would you send a finished body to MJT to put nitro on it?

I think just the neck is being sent off for the nitro finish. 

There's not enough green guitars in the world - thanks for doin' your part to support the cause!  :icon_thumright:

Zebra said:
stratamania said:

I think just the neck is being sent off for the nitro finish. 

There's not enough green guitars in the world - thanks for doin' your part to support the cause!  :icon_thumright:

Ah right. A bottle of Tru-oil would be a better and more cost effective option for this.

Woop, nice setup my man.

I really hope that photo has some perspective baked in else you have a HUGE headstock or a tiny head

Alright guys to address some questions and concerns:

-I'm just sending the neck to get a nitro finish to MJT. They already did the finish on the body since that is what I ordered first. I ordered the body from them because they were able to get me a righty body with a left trem route without needing to charge me extra.

-The color is candy apple green and the lighting does not do the color justice as it's a good bit shinier than what the picture shows. Also I had them put on a blonde undercoat first so that when the green wears away a bit, it will look cool, and you can even see the grain just a teeny bit through the green coat.

-I was holding the neck and body and tilting them away from my body, so that would be why the headstock and neck look rather large. I do have a rather large head myself, but that's do to my ego more than anything else. :laughing7:

-There most certainly needs to be more green guitars in the world, and not to drag on other people's tastes, but there are a lot of "ugly" greens out there! At least, many greens that are more suited to construction or weapon equipment than guitars.

ChrisPBacon said:
... I had them put on a blonde undercoat first so that when the green wears away a bit, it will look cool, and you can even see the grain just a teeny bit through the green coat.

I love this, you've built the guitar with the aspiration of wearing through the finish.  :headbang:

Hey y’all I’m glad y’all are digging it! If after 5-10 years, if it ain’t as beat up as Srvs number one or Rory Gallagher’s strat, I’ll relic it myself lol. I figured that I needed a lifelong instrument and having a guitar tech slap it all together isn’t very Rock and roll. Plus my brothers and father seem interested in helping me put it together, which is way cool of them, and somewhat unexpected. But again glad y’all like it!

Just a question about what looks to be a cool build!

Are you having MJT do a pristine new nitro finish on the neck? Or aged?

Thanks,
DeWayne

Hey DeWayne! On the neck, I'm going to have them put a slightly aged vintage amber finish. For me I don't care so much about the looks, I just need it to be super fast. I don't like the goopy and heavy lacquer necks but they said they could do a nitro finish with a satin feel and that's what I'm going to try for! Even if it ain't "satin feeling" right out of the box, it will get there with age as I play it. I just want it very slightly broken in.

Thanks. I was only asking because a couple months ago I was looking for someone to finish a neck for me and was referred to MJT. They e-mailed me back saying they ONLY do aged finishes anymore, no NOS, so I was just wondering.

Sounds like you're going to have an awesome guitar on your hands (or in your hands, as it were!)

Enjoy,
DeWayne

According to MJT's website, this is their definition of "Closet Clean:"

"The cleanest finish that we offer is our Closet Clean Aged style.  It is meant to replicate a played 50 to 65 year old AGED finish that has been well taken care of.  It will have a very thin 100% nitro finish, and the finish will continue to age and wear with handling, parts and neck installation, and use.  It WILL have very light to minimal aging/wear, and WILL include a nick or ding or two, play wear, light handling wear, polishing swirls, sunken grain on ash/mahogany bodies, etc.  We can do them in a vintage aged high gloss finish, or in a vintage aged satin/matte style finish.  We can also do them with or without checking."

All (3) of my MJTs are closet clean.  There is sunken grain (cool), no swirl marks, no checking, no nicks, no dings, no play wear.   

The two older ones (2 and 4 years old) have a just touch of checking if you get them out in the sun and look closely.  They are just now showing a touch of wear. 

I did ask for no wear whatsoever. Maybe that's cleaner than 'closet clean'.

All that said, they work with you to try to get it exactly the way you want it. 

Back