My first Warmoth build: P90 on Black Korina Strat. What is your opinion?

pingfloid

Hi. I am planning my first Warmoth custom build for a couple of Harmonic Design Z90 pickups that I currently have installed on a Schecter Solo II Custom.

I am thinking about a Black Corina Chambered Strat with rear routing, a Modern Standard Thin Roasted Flame Maple 22-fret with Indian Rosewood Fretboard, and a Gotoh 510 trem.

Any thoughts on these choices? I have to admit that not all them are rational. I chose a Strat because I prefer that shape over single cuts, I chose chambered because of the promising description at the Warmoth site, and I've never played a Black Korina guitar.

I initially thought about Mahogany, but I've read that Black Corina can be a nice alternative with a touch on the mids.

How is the love for Black Korina?

One reason most of us build custom, instead of buying off the shelf, is so we get exactly what we want. If this is what you want, why not! And there's a lot of love for Korina, beautiful stuff!

And, just BTW, welcome to the forum!

:guitarplayer2:

I think you'll hear a majority love the stuff. It's very attractive. I have several myself, and have seen/played countless others. Oddly enough, the ice blue Tele in my sig is black Korina, with a Maple top. But, in all cases of body wood variations or chambered/not, I've not been able to hear any appreciable sonic characteristic that said "good choice on body wood". It's usually more about weight and/or aesthetics. The pickups are the major influence, followed at a distance by the neck and bridge. I won't say there's NO influence, but it's never anything like a game-changer.

Yes! Another reason to post a pic of my Korina collection!

As you go through the design phase track down as many pictures as possible. See what the boutique builders are doing, check out the import market, just gather ideas. After a few days you'll be able to really zone in on the details.

zB8vFvWl.jpg

Korina!  :icon_thumright:

P-90's!  :icon_thumright:

Can't go wrong with those choices. Looking forward to following your progress.

Welcome to the forum.

Thank you for the replies. I've finally pulled the trigger  :glasses10:

I have chosen a body and a neck that are already in stock, to minimize the waiting time

Model: Chambered Stratocaster
Scale: 25-1/2"
Wood: Black Korina on Black Korina
Rout: Rear Rout
Pickup Rout: Humbucker (Wood Mount) (N), None (Middle), Humbucker (Wood Mount) (B)
Controls: V-T-T-5 (Strat®)
Bridge: Gotoh 510 Tremolo
Contours: Contoured Heel / Tummy Cut / Forearm Contour
Top Finish: Black-Yellow Burst
Back Finish: Black
Finish Type: Gloss Finish

Style: Stratocaster®
Construction: Modern Construction
Orientation: Right HandedNeck Wood: Roasted Flame Maple
Fingerboard Wood: Indian Rosewood (Dark)
Nut Width: 1-11/16"
Back Shape: Standard thin
Fret Size: 6130
Tuner Ream: Sperzel (25/64")
Radius: 10-16" Compound
Fret #: 22
Mounting Holes: Standard 4 Bolt
Pre-Cut Installed String Nut: GraphTech Black TUSQ XL - Standard Nut
Finish: Clear Satin Nitro

This is how it may look like:

Warmoth.jpg

Warmoth-Rear.jpg

pingfloid said:
Thank you for the replies. I've finally pulled the trigger  :glasses10:

I have chosen a body and a neck that are already in stock, to minimize the waiting time

Model: Chambered Stratocaster
Wood: Black Korina on Black Korina
Rout: Rear Rout
Pickup Rout: Humbucker (Wood Mount) (N), None (Middle), Humbucker (Wood Mount) (B)
Controls: V-T-T-5 (Strat®)
Bridge: Gotoh 510 Tremolo
Contours: Contoured Heel / Tummy Cut / Forearm Contour
Top Finish: Black-Yellow Burst
Back Finish: Black
Finish Type: Gloss Finish

Style: Stratocaster®
Construction: Modern Construction
Orientation: Right HandedNeck Wood: Roasted Flame Maple
Fingerboard Wood: Indian Rosewood (Dark)
Nut Width: 1-11/16"
Back Shape: Standard thin
Fret Size: 6130
Tuner Ream: Sperzel (25/64")
Radius: 10-16" Compound
Fret #: 22
Mounting Holes: Standard 4 Bolt
Pre-Cut Installed String Nut: GraphTech Black TUSQ XL - Standard Nut
Finish: Clear Satin Nitro

This is how it may look like:

Warmoth.jpg

Warmoth-Rear.jpg

Excellent start. And also, Welcome to the Forum... :cool01:

Great choices all around. I think you'll be very pleased with the end result. Looking forward to seeing some pics of it when you get it done.

I got Black Korina Strat with Indian Rosewood neck from Warmoth , it the longest sustain of many guitar I build .

Recommended use Indian Rosewood neck with it .

Hendrix said:
I got Black Korina Strat with Indian Rosewood neck from Warmoth , it the longest sustain of many guitar I build .

Recommended use Indian Rosewood neck with it .

I have a Black Korina Tele with and Indian Rosewood neck, and my experience is the exact same. The combo, while pricey, is quite the recipe for sustain.

Back