my builds aren't progressing, at all

Orpheo

Hi guys,

I ordered somewhere in april my 'coupe de grace'. 2 les pauls, with everything I ever wanted. flamed korina back, 5A quilt maple cap, figured koa top, flamed walnut back, superdupernecks blabla.

IMAG0714.jpg
IMAG0723.jpg

IMAG0722.jpg

IMAG0724.jpg

They arrived in the end of june, and the finishing process was done in the first week of August. I still have to finesand and polish them. The only hardware I have so far are the backplates, which I did polish. purpleheart for one and bubinga for the other.

For some reason, I had no problem buying 2 marshalls and a mesa in the meantime, but completing these has been a troublesome experience. I just can't get myself to do so!

Now, I've finally decided upon the right course of action. I know what I have to do and how I'm going to do it, and i want you guys to be part of the thought and buildprocess.

I'll be ordering these bridges:

IMG_3580.jpg

in gold, ofcourse. they cost me like 700$ a POP! but... they look better on a les paul than the dreaded floyd. Also, they are JUST 115 grams each. a regular floyd is at least trice the weight!

Also, I'll be ordering titanium blocks to go. These blocks are super light, and they add some sparkle to the tone, compared to the full aluminium of the strandberg-bridges.

I'm in contact with zhangbucker to make me 2 sets of pickups, pure handwounds, to my specs. can't wait! the pickups will be like PAF's, with a bit more power, more open, more clear, more transparant, 3D, better harmonics. the neckpickup will sing, with flutey overtones and a bell-chime. the bridgepickup will be very open, clear, articulated and 3D; broad and dynamic! lots of mids. crunchy and punchy in the mids, singing in the highs, solid in the lows but not boomy in any way.

tuners? locking planet waves.

pots? bournes! very simple wiring; just 2x volume 2x tone, 1 coiltapswitch. toggle and jack are switchcraft. the knobs will be wenge on both guitars.

but the best part?

A dear friend of mine, who's done a lot of my finishing and inlaywork is willing to make them extra special.

In the star-trek-font He'll be doing my name on the headstocks. and on the purpleheart neck, he'll do ALL the star trek-starship Enterprises as inlay, and on the bubinga neck, I'll be getting all the logo's!so, finally, after nearly 6 months, there seems to be progress :)

Beautiful! If you find yourself having any more trouble with the motivation to finish one please feel free to send the purpleheart my way!

Love your ideas for the finished product. Those are going to be some awesome LP's...

Cool. I admire your total attention to every little detail.

Sometimes things takes it's time. But both guitars are on the right path.  :headbang1:

it will take time, i know. but I have the feeling I'm on the right track.

the purpleheart and bubinga necks won't go anywhere ;) They are due for Star trek-themed inlay :D and they have a killer flame and color. no, they won't go :)

The StarTrek theme with that .strandberg bridge will look killer. I'll be interested to hear what you think of them. What nut are you planning on using?

Orpheo said:

IMG_3580.jpg

in gold, ofcourse. they cost me like 700$ a POP! but... they look better on a les paul than the dreaded floyd.

Maybe it is just me, but I only counted six tuner holes on the neck.  Are you going to be sneaking an extra string in there somewhere?
Patrick

Patrick - I think that's just a stock photo from the strandberg website, I recognize it.

Orpheo, will that bridge work without issues on a Les Paul?

patrick: I couldn't find a pic of the 6 string version so fast :p and I was lazy ;)

what wouldn't work? the neck angle is already routed for a floyd, and this trem is a direct replacement. the only change are the 'studs'. those are structurally different, but made in a way that they cover the holes of the floyd studs.

Patrick from Davis said:
Orpheo said:

IMG_3580.jpg

in gold, ofcourse. they cost me like 700$ a POP! but... they look better on a les paul than the dreaded floyd.

Maybe it is just me, but I only counted six tuner holes on the neck.  Are you going to be sneaking an extra string in there somewhere?
Patrick

He is gonna do it like a banjo, and just stick it on the middle of the neck :laughing7:

Orpheo said:
what wouldn't work? the neck angle is already routed for a floyd, and this trem is a direct replacement. the only change are the 'studs'. those are structurally different, but made in a way that they cover the holes of the floyd studs.

It was the neck angle that I was wondering about. A normal LP angle won't be ok?

kboman said:
Orpheo said:

It was the neck angle that I was wondering about. A normal LP angle won't be ok?

the neck angle is already routed for a floyd...

I'm not all that well versed in the world of Floyds. What is the difference?

See, I'm interested in possibly using the Strandberg bridge for a future LP, but not particularly interested in messing with the neck angle which for me is one of the great features of a Les Paul .

kboman said:

See, I'm interested in possibly using the Strandberg bridge for a future LP, but not particularly interested in messing with the neck angle which for me is one of the great features of a Les Paul .

I think he is saying that since the neck pocket is already routed at the correct angle for a floyd, then it is correctly routed for the strandberg bridge since it is a direct replacement.

rapfohl09 said:
kboman said:

I think he is saying that since the neck pocket is already routed at the correct angle for a floyd, then it is correctly routed for the strandberg bridge since it is a direct replacement.

yes, thats exactly what I wanted to say. sorry, I was hoping my point came across.

you can't fit a strandberger on a regular les paul that easily, because the neck angle isn't right and you have to rout the hell out of the body ofcourse.

As far as I know, the standard Gibson angle is 2 degrees, where a non-recessed Floyd is 1.5 degrees. I honestly doubt you could tell the diffrence. The neck would still be angled, so it wouldn't be too different.

Orpheo said:

IMG_3580.jpg

in gold, ofcourse. they cost me like 700$ a POP! but... they look better on a les paul than the dreaded floyd. Also, they are JUST 115 grams each. a regular floyd is at least trice the weight!

What do you expect from a bridge made of aluminum (weight)? For $700 a pop I hope its real gold, Holy Ripoff for aluminum anything Batman!. Maybe you should put a sustain block on it? There's a reason Floyd's have steel baseplates. :laughing7: Interesting design though, I do like the horizontal micro-tuners.

Back