My Black Cherry Strat

Mincer

This is an instrument I built a few years ago for the Seymour Duncan Blog here.

I am the admin of their forum, and have written many blogs about all sorts of guitar stuff on their site. This project had parts from the Showcase: a chambered swamp ash & maple body, with a wenge/ebony neck w/SS frets. Thank you to those at Warmoth that talked me through everything!

The wiring uses 3 SD pickups: 59/Custom Hybrid, Five Two, and Classic Stack, with all positions being hum-cancelling.

IMG-0265.jpg

Warmoth.jpg

IMG-0271.jpg

IMG-1085.jpg

IMG-0070.jpg

Welcome to this forum.

I have seen the guitar on the SD Blog as I recall you wired it with a Megaswitch.

Yes! The middle position is one coil from the humbucker, and the top coil of the neck Stack (which is rw/rp).

How do you find the stacks and single coil size humbuckers split compared to a normal size humbucker?

The Single Coil-type Stacks, like the Classic Stack Plus will split and sound pretty much indistinguishable for the whole stack. But when combined with an actual single coil pickup (that is rw/rp) it will cancel the hum generated from both.
As far as a single coil -sized humbucker, like the Hot Rails or Little 59, they don't sound that great split. They do sound good in parallel, which lowers the output a bit and really opens up the mids.

Thanks. I just recently got hold a single coil size SD humbucker but still need to put it in a project. Some experimentation ahead I think.

Back