mooncast guitar build

dmraco

Master Member
I started putting together my Mooncaster.  Here are the specifics:
Body is Mahogany with a Padouk top and tortoise binding
Neck is Mahogany with a bloodwood board and SS frets.
Gotoh locking tuners and bridge
TV Jones Powertron pickups.

The body is very light.  I was hoping to get a bloodwood top but Warmoth could not do it.  I think the Padouk will darken/brown over time so they should begin to match up better.

I am going with a LP style wiring with this. 

As I have been putting this one together, I really realized my finishing style has really changed.  I have gone away from the tri-bursts and use of heavy metal flake in my builds.  I have even stopped filling the grain.  Satin finish has also dominated my last few builds.  It has become a "let the wood do the talkin'" type of run!!

Maybe I am getting lazy.  No more filling and sanding, not more mixing and cleaning my guns with multiple colors of nitro and flake.  Best of all, no more fine sanding polishing!  :doh:

Also they seem to be selling better too! 

I hope you like....and lets not forget the custom truss cover by Doug!!!

Attachments

• front.jpg
    front.jpg
    1,006.6 KB · Views: 60
  • back.jpg
    back.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 37
  • close.jpg
    close.jpg
    303.8 KB · Views: 35
  • head.jpg
    head.jpg
    157.9 KB · Views: 32
Good God, what a gorgeous thing.  That is BEAUTIFUL!

If there is one guitar body that Warmoth makes that really intrigues me, it's the Mooncaster.  How is upper register access?

VERY Nice! Great color combo, and I think you were right to go with open pore. Wood should look like wood.... :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:

Man, that's a beautiful guitar already. I like the grain showing, too. I did that on a couple of mine and it adds to the whole look.

rauchman said:
Good God, what a gorgeous thing.  That is BEAUTIFUL!

If there is one guitar body that Warmoth makes that really intrigues me, it's the Mooncaster.  How is upper register access?

It’s not too bad.  It comes standard with a contour heel.  Not the easiest access but not the worse.

Nice one Dave, I like the look with the TV Jones pups...And the black accent on the TR cover.... :icon_thumright:

cool.  I'm very curious about what you think of the TV-jones pickups in that body.

Mayfly said:
cool.  I'm very curious about what you think of the TV-jones pickups in that body.

Hopefully after this weekend.  I will say I am very impressed on how resonate the body is already.  Sounds great unplugged!!!

Back