Modern neck without the side-adjust?

TheGreatRedDragon

Warmoth is the only manufacturer I know of that makes Jaguar/Mustang necks with a full CBS headstock, but the only construction option for them is Modern, which includes the side-adjust. As handy as it is (love it on my Super Strat), I'm not really keen on the look of it on a vintage-styled guitar. Has anyone ever ordered a Modern neck without the side-adjust? I know that's the only option for lefties, but what about righties?

There are instances, like that one, of them appearing but they always appear to be necks from 15+ years ago. I've asked Warmoth many times over the last ~8 years and the answer I've always been given is nope, they're not going to do Modern Pro without the side adjust.

FWIW there are other companies that do 24" necks with the bigger headstock, though... looks like none of them are open to orders right now. Probably not surprising given even Warmoth is struggling with the backlog.

If the guitar is going to be "vintage-styled" anyway, why not pick up a Fender neck off eBay or Reverb or wherever? If what you want is 'the' short scale CBS neck and you're not trying to get any modern twists then you can find actual Fender ones for sale all the time.

Ace Flibble said:
There are instances, like that one, of them appearing but they always appear to be necks from 15+ years ago. I've asked Warmoth many times over the last ~8 years and the answer I've always been given is nope, they're not going to do Modern Pro without the side adjust.

FWIW there are other companies that do 24" necks with the bigger headstock, though... looks like none of them are open to orders right now. Probably not surprising given even Warmoth is struggling with the backlog.

If the guitar is going to be "vintage-styled" anyway, why not pick up a Fender neck off eBay or Reverb or wherever? If what you want is 'the' short scale CBS neck and you're not trying to get any modern twists then you can find actual Fender ones for sale all the time.

That's very disappointing.

My reasons for not using an existing neck are threefold:

1) I'm after a vintage look but with custom playability: Namely, 1 11/16th nut, 12" radius and LP-style neck profile.

2) I want a matching headstock (mandatory on offsets IMO) and I'd prefer Warmoth do the finishing.

3) Vintage necks are expensive!

There are other places I could go for a 24" Jag/Mustang neck, but from what I've seen they all use the pre-CBS headstock. The pre-CBS headstock is similar but it doesn't have the big funky curve of the CBS that I like.

Curious, how much will a recess approx 3/8 on the side of the neck facing downward impact a vintage appearance? If it’s that great, maybe create a simple plug for the recess?

TBurst Std said:
Curious, how much will a recess approx 3/8 on the side of the neck facing downward impact a vintage appearance? If it’s that great, maybe create a simple plug for the recess?

A hole in the side of the neck is pretty conspicuous. A plug might diminish that but if the finish doesn't match it wouldn't make a difference, and either way it'd be a bit of a Mickey Mouse.

Email in to Customer Service. I've seen orders without side adjusts on them. I think it's just an off-menu option that may have a surcharge attached. Email on in, and they'll let you know for sure.  :)

stultzies9 said:
Email in to Customer Service. I've seen orders without side adjusts on them. I think it's just an off-menu option that may have a surcharge attached. Email on in, and they'll let you know for sure.  :)

I don't know, but I would think a Vintage / Modern could be done as a one off?

I emailed Customer Service and they got back to me today. A neck can be ordered without a side-adjust for a $65 surcharge.  :party07:

TheGreatRedDragon said:
I emailed Customer Service and they got back to me today. A neck can be ordered without a side-adjust for a $65 surcharge.  :party07:

Now that is interesting.

It took a while, but I love the side adjust. To me it’s become like modern tuners or aftermarket pickups with brand logos on them.

Back