Modern construction truss rod adjustment...

BigSteve22

So, I've been noticing lately that my Tele has required a little more effort to play. Checked the bridge saddles, and all's locked in place just as I left it the last time I checked. Checked the action at the 12th fret on the low E string and found it to be somewhere between .050" and .060", which is NOT where it was the last time I checked. (It was set between .040" and .050".)

As the saddles had not moved, I checked the relief using a Starrett machinist's scale/straight edge, (1/8" thick, non flexing steel, machined flat) and a feeler gauge, and discovered that instead of the .008" I had set it for, it now measured .014"! Took my time, and several iterations of de-tune, adjust, (using the side adjuster), re-tune, wait, remeasure, and got it set back where it was. Took a total of about 1-3/4 turns of the screw, and all's back to normal now.

My Strat neck, also a modern construction, standard thin profile neck, also required readjusting after 6-8 months of playing. I would also note that the Strat neck has been rock solid ever since, and that I expect the Tele to follow suit.

Now, I'm not complaining by any means. I'm used to seasonal truss rod adjustments on other instruments. It's just as a note to owners of Warmoth modern construction necks, which have a reputation for stability. If things seem a little different after playing for a while, and your saddles haven't moved, check the relief.

I check them periodically...I have one thin profile neck that moves a bit with big temperature swings. The others have been remarkably stable so far. Good advice though....if it feels different it should be checked.

Many guitarists tend to forget that wood used to be a living thing that reacted to humidity and barometric pressure, and are surprised when it still does....

For the Modern Construction necks, is there any sort of "preliminary adjustment" that needs to be done before even screwing the thing on?

Mr. Neutron said:
For the Modern Construction necks, is there any sort of "preliminary adjustment" that needs to be done before even screwing the thing on?
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKVWr8FRJNc[/youtube]

Mr. Neutron said:
Documentation supplied with a Warmoth modern construction neck provides your answer:
1) Adjust the truss rod using the heel adjuster until the neck is flat.
2) Install the neck, string up, and tune to pitch.
3) Now check the neck again, and make any additional adjustments using the side adjust.

Warmoth necks are shipped with the side adjust screw centered in its range of travel. If there is a question as to whether the screw is centered, it can be reset as follows:
1) Loosen the heel adjustment until it is not putting any pressure on the truss rod.
2) Turn the side adjuster clockwise until it stops. Not tight, just until it stops.
3) Now back off, turning the side adjuster counter clockwise, 7 complete turns.
The side adjust screw is now centered and you can proceed as above.

I let the neck "rest" while making adjustments. I adjust it flat, then I wait an hour or two, and check to see if it moved, readjusting, and waiting again, if necessary. When it stays flat, I install it, string up, tune to pitch, and wait again to see it it stays in tune, or moves under tension. I will re-tune, and wait again if it moved. When it stays in tune, I check the flatness of the neck under tension, de-tune, set the relief, bring it back to pitch, and wait again before re-checking. If the relief needs adjusting, I de-tune, readjust, bring back to pitch, and wait again. Repeating as needed. It takes a while, but as AirCap points out, wood reacts to changes in temperature and humidity. It will also moves under tension until it finds its own happy place!  :glasses9:

Thanks, BigSteve22!!!  :icon_thumright:

I *thought* I recalled reading something like that, but couldn't recall where I had seen it.    :icon_scratch:

Documentation supplied with a Warmoth modern construction neck provides your answer:
1) Adjust the truss rod using the heel adjuster until the neck is flat.
2) Install the neck, string up, and tune to pitch.
3) Now check the neck again, and make any additional adjustments using the side adjust.

Warmoth necks are shipped with the side adjust screw centered in its range of travel. If there is a question as to whether the screw is centered, it can be reset as follows:
1) Loosen the heel adjustment until it is not putting any pressure on the truss rod.
2) Turn the side adjuster clockwise until it stops. Not tight, just until it stops.
3) Now back off, turning the side adjuster counter clockwise, 7 complete turns.
The side adjust screw is now centered and you can proceed as above.

Thanks again; this, and the rest of your post, helps a bunch! Or rather, it will help when I go to bolt the neck on......

Back