Mixer protection - specifically for the Tascam Model 12

Logrinn

I posted the following on the Tascam forum, but I thought I'd ask the same question here (found at the end of the post), in case there are more users of Tascams very popular and cool Model 12 mixer/recorder here:

So I've got a cover for my Akai MPC Live from the people at Decksaver:

DS-PC-MPCTOUCH_3QTR_mdze2h_idxz5g.png

and thought it was such a cool product that I contacted them about a similar cover for my Korg Wavestate.
I didn't hear back from them and forgot about it, but a few months later I happened to see that they had indeed manufactured such a cover too. So I got that as well:

DS-PC-WAVESTATE_3QTR_ui71ek_dy5kns.png

This of course got me thinking about my Model 12 and that a cover for it would be a good thing ...

15201193_800.webp

I reached out to them once again and this time they got back after a day or two.
Their reply was as follows:

"The tooling and development is quite expensive for each cover so we need to know there are numbers behind getting this done.

It’s been added to the request list and if it starts to get some heat we’ll look at it."

Sooo ... if there are more like me here on this forum that might be interested in seeing such a cover being produced, a good idea would be to contact them about it:
https://www.decksaver.com/support/contact-us/
(choose "I want to request a cover" in the drop down menu).

As an aside, I was wondering how you find the Model 12 Tascam?

It's been favourably reviewed, just wondering in a real world situation being used by non-demonstrators, how it goes?

It’s great.
In fact - it’s probably the best piece of gear I’ve bought in a long while.

I’ve been making music on computers since 1986 and seen all the negative sides there is of this. Since my daytime work is spent in front of a computer as well I’ve had a wish for working without one for a very long time, ie going DAWless.

The Tascam Model 12 gives me the simplicity of recording to an SD card without any fuss.
I’ve got some stuff connected to the mixer, like a mic (from my cab), synth and a sampler/drummachine.
So when inspiration hits I can turn on the mixer and hit Rec. Done.
Or I can start my MPC Live (the drummachine), load a template kit in it along with a basic rhythm (that acts as a metronome) set the tempo and record a basic drumtrack along with the guitar.
I can then add stuff until I’m happy with the result and later go back and create a more appropriate drumtrack and rerecord that.
Finally I’ll just pop the SD card into the computer and the DAW for the more intricate work with mixing, editing, mastering and so on (the more boring work but at least it doesn’t need creativity in the same sense as the guitar playing when coming up with the song).

So it’s a big help to me in that I can record stuff when I get my ideas very fast and easily.

It’s a bit like Pete Thorn says; it’s a little like the Portastudio recorders of old. Very easy and lots of fun.

Last edited:
Back