Maybe my alcohol based dye is pulling out some of my waterbased grain filler?

BigBeard

So I have put a third application of cherry red stain on this lefty floydocaster that I am building, and I filled the grain first with black filler (it is an ash body) and started applying the dye.... First application was fine, second went pretty good, now I am noticing if I look really closely at the areas that have fill in them that there are pores that are not filled.  Interesting.......  I could have sworn upon magnifying glass inspection that I got filler in all the pores, but now it seems like some of it got pulled out.  There is a little black residue on the rag when I get done with the dye, but not enough to have pulled that much filler out of the pores.....  That filler sets up pretty thick, and its really no fun sanding that crap off.....

So I guess my question is this:  Should I throw another coat of grain filler on it and sand back to the dye? 

There is no sealer on the guitar yet, I wanted the dye to really soak in.  What if I seal it now that I am done with the dye?  I don't know, I just hate the idea of applying more filler, sanding it back and losing the dye already on the guitar and they doing a re-dye,  I could see this as an ongoing process and I'd like to get paid for this guitar someday soon so the sooner I can put some laquer on it, the sooner I can send it out.  Any ideas or suggestions would be extra helpful.

=CB=?    Tonar?  Anybody that has done this a time or two lend me some advice?  I'd really appreciate it....... :help:

Is the filler suposed to be compatible with alcohol based dyes/finishes?  You could put a smear of filler on some sort of non-porous surface, allow it to dry then see if it is affected by a wipe down with straight alcohol.  You'll probably want to figure this out before proceding otherwise you might end up chasing your own tail.

How much of the grain has been exposed at this point?  Is it just a small area you could spot fill, or are you thinking you'll need to re-do the whole piece?

More than likely you didn't totally fill things - especially true on grainier woods.  I've found at least two fill sessions, more like four on grainy woods, maybe even going back again after a rough sand and one last fill with very fine sanding.  If you filled well, you can just about get a gloss to appear on the wood itself - using 600 paper and no finish at all.  That way you know its really filled well.

Go back, refill over the dye, sand it back, fine fine sand it.  Just re-dye as needed.

=CB= said:
More than likely you didn't totally fill things - especially true on grainier woods.  I've found at least two fill sessions, more like four on grainy woods, maybe even going back again after a rough sand and one last fill with very fine sanding.  If you filled well, you can just about get a gloss to appear on the wood itself - using 600 paper and no finish at all.  That way you know its really filled well.

Go back, refill over the dye, sand it back, fine fine sand it.  Just re-dye as needed.

Thanks CB  That was what I thought.  Upon closer inspection, you I think are right about not being totally filled.  I went back and refilled it last night, that is like the 5th fill.  sanded it back and dyed it again and I am in business.  I guess I just got worried for nothing.

Thanks for the answer bud!!

Back