Mary Kaye Strat

Chad11491

Hi All,

I had a maple American Professional Stratocaster neck sitting around from a build that never happened, and I've been getting into winding my own pickups lately so I decided to jump on the vintage spec Mary Kaye body that was in the showcase a few weeks ago to have a single coil testbed guitar.

Specs:

Vintage Spec Strat body
Swamp Ash
SSS route - 6 screw tremolo - 4lb 5oz

Maple American Pro Strat neck
Fender locking tuners

Fender anodized gold pickguard
American Professional style wiring w/ treble bleed

Vega Trem system - it's flat out awesome. Pricey, but it has all the tuning stability and function of a floyd rose but looks nice and sounds like a traditional strat bridge system. This is the 2nd one i've used and I think I'll use them going forward.

1/4" A5 rod magnet single coils in neck and bridge - 43awg enamel. 9.4k neck - 8.5k middle - 10.31k bridge with a steel baseplate attached.

currently a 15.8k bridge wound with 44awg, but I think it's a tad too dark and compressed compared to the 10.31k one, which sounds like the best parts of a P90 and tele bridge put together. I'll swap the 10.31k one back in next string change.

I really like Duncan Quarter pound pickups, but was annoyed they only come in black, and always wished they would fit in normal strat pickup covers. So I decided to wind my own that would, lol. I take standard strat pickup covers and stick them on the drill press to enlarge the holes just enough for the pole pieces to have wiggle room. I first tried a hand drill but it mangled the holes, and with the drill press the holes are super clean and i'm able to "kiss" the covers with the next size larger on a step bit to clean up the holes.

Anyway, on to the pics! My wife just got me an external flash for an early 1st Father's Day present so I spent the day trying to learn how to use it, so sorry if the pics are overdone haha.

49999895127_3b53aad6fe_k.jpg

49999223402_861c5fcd0b_k.jpg

49999126688_534232a4ff_k.jpg

49999651816_5ba26916b6_k.jpg

That’s for the win!
So Vega trems are shipping now?
I have a strat body on order (as well as 2 other bodies) that will be Mary Kaye (going off to Tonar for that).
For the pickguard, I too am going gold.  I am going to try back painting a clear guard gold (ala Gretsch).

That's a beauty of an axe, for sure.  The Vega trem is a handsome part.  I like your workaround to duplicate Quarter Pound functionality in a non-black pickup, as well.  I salute you, intrepid guitar-hacker!  Also, the photos look just dandy, to my eye.

That's one beautiful guitar. MKW really does look good on this one.  :icon_thumright:

I don't think I have ever seen a MK finish with and anodized gold pick guard. It looks killer! Nice Job.

Thanks all!

TBurst Std said:
That’s for the win!
So Vega trems are shipping now?
I have a strat body on order (as well as 2 other bodies) that will be Mary Kaye (going off to Tonar for that).
For the pickguard, I too am going gold.  I am going to try back painting a clear guard gold (ala Gretsch).

I first picked one up off of Reverb about 4 months ago, but they appear to be sold out most everywhere currently. I talked to the Vega-Trem guys about 3 months ago wondering if I could buy the adapter for the 6-screw trem seperate since the first one I ordered was a 2 post for a different guitar. Their production is still shut down from the virus so they don't have any tremolos or extra parts on hand currently, but f-u tone still has a few units available.

Tonar8353 said:
I don't think I have ever seen a MK finish with and anodized gold pick guard. It looks killer! Nice Job.

+1

I'm not usually a fan of gold plated parts, so also not usually a fan of MK Strats, but that works really well. The minimalist-looking Vega trem looks very interesting.

Back