maple fretboards

teleme01

just curious about maple fretboards on non maple neck woods,  is it not allowed,  i think a wenge neck with a maple fretboard would look good but its not an option.

teleme01 said:
just curious about maple fretboards on non maple neck woods,  is it not allowed,  i think a wenge neck with a maple fretboard would look good but its not an option.

Necks of that sort of type sometimes have shown up in the showcase. Not sure about Wenge, but there have definitely been necks with darker woods and maple boards. Those are showcase only items and not part of the regular menu options.

The combo of a Maple fretboard over just about any exotic wood is a no-go. Broadly speaking, the fretboard should be the stiffer/denser wood for best stability. Also, Maple needs a finish and it'd be--to put it mildly--awkward to apply a satisfactory one on just a fretboard.

Walnut shaft + Maple fretboard necks have been done from time to time--but you must finish the entire neck.

Thanks Mr Bones...walnut that is what I had observed in the showcase with a maple board. I couldn't quite remember what it was    :icon_thumright:

J-Bones said:
The combo of a Maple fretboard over just about any exotic wood is a no-go. Broadly speaking, the fretboard should be the stiffer/denser wood for best stability. Also, Maple needs a finish and it'd be--to put it mildly--awkward to apply a satisfactory one on just a fretboard.

Walnut shaft + Maple fretboard necks have been done from time to time--but you must finish the entire neck.
thanks,  cured my curiosity  :bass:

Back