Malagasy Rosewood feel? Trying to decide neck for chambered Black Korina body

stefan

Does Malagasy rosewood feel like regular rosewood?

I'm seeing a lot of malagasy rosewood necks pop in the showcase recently and they do look quite nice, but from what I gather Indian rosewood is a bit inferior-feeling compared to other raw necks.

Sustain and feel are the most  important to me, and I was originally thinking something like Bloodwood to compliment Dark Korina chambered strat (which seems like it feels great, sustains great, and is bright... but doesn't show up the showcase much).

what kind of feel are you wanting? from what I hear anything raw will feel great, but some are tight grained and smooth, others have open pores and feel more "woody". If you want tight, Pau Ferro might look nice with the BK.

stefan said:
I'm seeing a lot of malagasy rosewood necks pop in the showcase recently and they do look quite nice, but from what I gather Indian rosewood is a bit inferior-feeling compared to other raw necks.
:icon_scratch: I thought most people were saying Indian Rosewood was one of the best feeling neck woods out there?

line6man said:
stefan said:
:icon_scratch: I thought most people were saying Indian Rosewood was one of the best feeling neck woods out there?

That is what I think... most people seem to like the feel of Wenge best, but personally, I prefer Indian Rosewood over Wenge when it comes to feel.. (and I tried a lot of exotic necks!)

stefan said:
Sustain and feel are the most  important to me, and I was originally thinking something like Bloodwood to compliment Dark Korina chambered strat (which seems like it feels great, sustains great, and is bright... but doesn't show up the showcase much).

you can order it for not much more than showcase price..

Bloodwood does not feel as "woody" as Rosewood.. it is very smooth and waxy, almost as if it was a little finished. on the other hand, the tone and sustain are amazing.. but not as bright as you would expect.

Stratocaster0304040.jpg

Märkeaux said:
That is what I think... most people seem to like the feel of Wenge best, but personally, I prefer Indian Rosewood over Wenge when it comes to feel.. (and I tried a lot of exotic necks!)

I was doing a lot of searching and am sure I read that someone really thought that rosewood didn't feel that nice compared to other woods. It's hard to evaluate this stuff without trying in person :)

Märkeaux said:
you can order it for not much more than showcase price..

Bloodwood does not feel as "woody" as Rosewood.. it is very smooth and waxy, almost as if it was a little finished. on the other hand, the tone and sustain are amazing.. but not as bright as you would expect.

That guitar is probably what put the idea of bloodwood neck on korina body in my head in the first place :) Well, that and the warmoth description of bloodwood.

Maybe I'll go ahead and order, though it means waiting and being overwhelmed by the choices, especially fingerboard wood.

I'm not good with so many choices, I can't choose!

Can anyone help me pick between:

The price all ends up being about the same. Will a rosewood fingerboard not feel as fast/not sustain as well as ebony? Does a one-piece neck have any propensity to sustain more?

Cheers :)

What else feels nice? I'm after somthing fast to play on that sustains really well - does this pretty much point to bloodwood or are there any other contenders?

Does a 1-piece neck lend to any more sustain over a two-piece one?

Fast? AKA hard/dense and smooth(as opposed to grainy/textured)? I've just recently picked up a Pau Ferro bass neck at my local guitar shop, and lemme tell you, I an SOLD. very resonant, lots of sustain (I felt like the thing was going to vibrate out of my grip when I first plucked a string). It is a bit heavier than maple, very dense. And very smooth, polished surface. I could tell where the previous owner set his thumb because the neck back was polished like crazy in these spots. Very fast feeling.

just my 2c

Well, I did it. Went ahead and bought this :eek:

SN8470A.jpg

SN8470B.jpg

Pau Ferro/Ebony, Standard thin, 1 11/16". Added 6115 SS frets and Graphtech XL nut :)

Thanks everyone for their input!

sounds like an ultimate player's neck! SS frets, woods chosen for the feel, graphtech nut. I'll be waiting in eager expectation to hear how it plays. hopefully really FAST!  :party07:

I have a Pau Ferro and a Bocote neck.  While the adjectives are not entirely appropriate, the Bocote, Mexican Rosewood, is more like a flannel feel.  It is quick, but not as hard feeling.  The Pau Ferro is like satin, lightning fast.  It is also much harder and stiffer feeling.  As far as sustain?  They both behave very nice.  Granted, it is not the rosewood you were talking about, but it is similar.
Patrick

Patrick from Davis said:
I have a Pau Ferro and a Bocote neck.  While the adjectives are not entirely appropriate, the Bocote, Mexican Rosewood, is more like a flannel feel.  It is quick, but not as hard feeling.  The Pau Ferro is like satin, lightning fast.  It is also much harder and stiffer feeling.  As far as sustain?  They both behave very nice.  These are not the Rosewoods you are looking for, but it is similar.
Patrick

Hey, fixed that for ya!

these_are_not_the_droids.jpg

Back