LSR Prep

Mincer

I received my roasted maple/ebony neck with the LSR prep done, as well the nut itself, also ordered from Warmoth. A test fit of the nut revealed that it can slide in about 2/3rds of the way from the bass side, and just stops. I don't want to hammer it in, but it is not moving past 2/3rds in. I might have to lightly sand the ebony on the treble side. Is this common? How is the fit usually on an LSR prep nut?

I have had a couple of necks with LSR prep and in both cases the nut fit. It should not have to be slid in from the side if it is properly cut.

doctuerseb has mentioned that he has had experience of an LSR prep being cut too low and one of mine was on the low side needing more shims than I would have preferred.

I don't think anyone on the forum will have ordered a sufficient quantity of necks to say something is common or not but it certainly should not be the case as the slot should be to correct dimensions for depth and width and screw placement.

Whether you adjust the fit yourself or send it back to Warmoth, I think you should raise it with them as a QC issue. We all know mistakes can happen but they need to be pointed out when they do not from a point of view of complaint but for the benefit of all.

Sorry to hijack, figured it's better than cluttering with a new topic. For those who have used LSR and also a properly cut TUSQ XL, is there a noticeable difference in stability?

justsomeguy1 said:
Sorry to hijack, figured it's better than cluttering with a new topic. For those who have used LSR and also a properly cut TUSQ XL, is there a noticeable difference in stability?

That might depend on how well the Tusq XL is cut. An LSR does not have that as a potential tweak that is needed. Also with which bridge will make a difference, as would with or without string trees.

I would say a Floyd Non Fine Tuner with an LSR is more stable than a Gotoh 510 with a Tusq XL for example but again it depends what kind of usage you apply to these set ups.

The most stable will be a double locking Floyd.

I will send an email to Warmoth. I don't have a problem slightly sanding the front or back of the LSR slot, but the holes might not line up if I do that. I will see what Warmoth says.

Not an LSR but my tele neck was 0.003" or so different from one end to the other, which I just chalked up to wood. I'd have never noticed as it was my first nut, and I thought I was doing something wrong.

Warmoth CS was great. They stated that every LSR prep includes a test-fit of the LSR, so something like wood swelling may have occurred here. They offered to
take it back, or if I wanted to, slowly file the back wall (headstock side) of the nut slot. I did this very slowly, taking off very little in each pass until it would fit (about 10 passes). So...fixed.

Mincer said:
Warmoth CS was great. They stated that every LSR prep includes a test-fit of the LSR, so something like wood swelling may have occurred here. They offered to
take it back, or if I wanted to, slowly file the back wall (headstock side) of the nut slot. I did this very slowly, taking off very little in each pass until it would fit (about 10 passes). So...fixed.

So how was it determined that the headstock side was the side to adjust and not the side towards the bridge?

I ask this because where this slot is does make a difference to how the guitar will intonate. If it was removed from the wrong side of the nut the ball bearings will effectively not be in quite the correct place.

Warmoth CS determined that the headstock side was the right side to do this. Otherwise the mounting holes wouldn't line up. Very little material was removed, so the bridge can certainly compensate.

Mincer said:
Warmoth CS determined that the headstock side was the right side to do this. Otherwise the mounting holes wouldn't line up. Very little material was removed, so the bridge can certainly compensate.

Good to know that it was determined by the holes acting as a datum...look forward to seeing some pics of your current build.

Back