Lightweight body for MIM Strat

diverdown

Greetings all. I am new here, but I'm hoping someone can help. I love my 2016 MIM Standard Fender Strat, but due to a fractured vertebra I really need some weight relief. My question is, can a get a nice lightweight Warmoth body and then take everything from my Strat and move it over? I'm thinking a chambered basswood body would be the way to go. Is this possible? Thanks for your help!

Welcome to the forum, as long as your MIM Standard complies with Fender's overall original specs, the answer is yes. Not all Fenders comply with the specs, but many do. Check the linked page below.

Thank you for the information, it looks like it should work! And a couple of follow ups: I assume it is ok to get a body with the custom contoured heel option. Is this correct? Also, would the "Fender American Standard Tremolo" bridge rout should also work?

Thanks.

I assume it is ok to get a body with the custom contoured heel option. Is this correct?
Yes, but you also need to get a set of screws that are sold for the contoured heel.

Also, would the "Fender American Standard Tremolo" bridge rout should also work?

Unless there is something different about your guitar, no, not with the bridge that you currently have. The MIM Standard that you have has a six screw mounted tremolo, the “Fender American Standard Tremolo” rout is for a two post “Fender American Standard Tremolo”.

For a six screw tremolo, you need the “6-Hole Vintage Tremolo” rout. But that might not fit either, if your Mexican strat has a 2 1/16 string spacing and mounting dimensions that is different to the 2 7/32" vintage mounting. Don't assume “standard” in this case means the same.

Of course, you could replace the tremolo bridge and go for a rout and bridge from Warmoth that will work together. For example, the Gotoh 510 is a good choice.

Warmoth sales can also help you with these details.

Last edited:
Ok I think I'm ready to pull the trigger. Again, I want to take everything off my MIM Strat and put in on a new body to lighten in up. I have decided to go with the Gotoh trem and have Warmoth install the posts. I am doing the universal route as I would like to have the option of putting a humbucker in the bridge at a later time. I also want no paint, as I can sand myself and I plan to use a danish oil finish with a very thin coat of polyurethane varnish on top for a natural look (I have done this on a lot of non-guitar projects). Here is the rundown:

Construction:
Chambered
Core Wood:
Basswood
Lam Top Wood:
Roasted Alder
Right / Left Handed:
Right-Handed
Control Cavity:
Top Rout
Multi Pickup Top Rout:
Universal
F-Holes:
None
Jack Rout:
Strat® Flat Mount Top Jack
Bridge Rout Type:
Tremolo
Bridge Rout:
Gotoh 510 Tremolo
Would you like Warmoth to install the bridge studs?:
Yes, from a bridge I have on order.
Mounting Holes:
Standard 4-Bolt
Neck Pocket Shape:
Strat®
Body Contours:
Forearm Contour, Tummy Cut, Custom Contoured Heel
No binding, no battery, no paint

I will wait a few days to order to see if anyone has any other suggestions. One more question I have is in regards to the core body wood. Basswood is economical, and lightweight, and will only be on the back. I prefer the look of mahogany, but weight is more important in this case. But given that the body is chambered, will there be much of a difference between basswood and mahogany? Is there another wood I should consider? And either way, can I pay extra to have Warmoth select a light piece of wood?

Thanks again for all your help!

I’d pay more for the LW option. I’ve often seen chambered bodies of a given wood weighing more than non chambered. I could suppose the heavier blanks they end up with get the chambered option.

I went LW option for my latest alder body Strat. Painted, it was under 3.5 lbs

If you asked for a lightweight piece of mahogany or black korina and being chambered, it will look better with a Danish oil finish than basswood. Of course, you would probably want to revise then the lam top choice.

Or stick with basswood as it is light and is a primary consideration for you, and perhaps use maple as a lam top. Consider a different finish for the basswood such as a solid colour as it is less likely to look that great with Danish oil.

For the rest, the specs, and choices should do the job.

Suhr and Anderson have long touted that Basswood with a maple top is a great combo. I would definitely recommend a solid color finish for the basswood though the color of the wood can be anywhere from white to a garish green. There are several wipe on "stain" products that are more opaque than a traditional stain that could also be applied instead of the oil.

But also yes a light weight option of korina, mahogany, alder, roasted alder, etc would all also yield a light option and look good with an oil finish.

The lightweight option is $40 and is an off menu thing you have to call about after placing your order.

Back