Korina, Korina, Where You Been So Long? Korinacaster Collection

Cactus Jack

Korina might be my favorite body wood. I love pretty much everything about it so I decided to pickup a few more examples. I really wanted to see how different finishes look on the wood, and my conclusion is pretty much any transparent finish would look awesome.

The Strat to the far left is 100% Korina and has a beautiful Brown to Clear burst with a transparent brown back. The brown really makes the reds pop and brings the wood to life. I really like the way the Canary neck complements the color and grain pattern. 

My HSH Tele is 100% Korina, but has a Black to Clear burst with a solid black back. In my opinion you can't go wrong with Black to Clear or Brown to Clear, they make the wood pop in equally cool ways.

The Strat to the far right is Korina on Alder with a Clear front and back finish. Compared to 100% Korina this body might have a bit more spark to it. It resonates a bit different. I'd compare the difference to something like the tone difference between Alnico V vs Alnico II. Subtle difference, but there's something unique.

zB8vFvWl.jpg

opxpratl.jpg

pUv8jqzl.jpg

I9217lWl.jpg

kyT9g2Ol.jpg

I purchased the two Strats second hand, and both are excellent builds. However, I already have plans to personalize them, and spent the last week customizing the Clear finish Strat. Long story short I swapped the neck, installed some Fralin SP43's (my new favorite Strat pickup), and wired it up following Fender's Fat 50's half blender scheme (also my new favorite). The Brown to Clear will get a similar treatment, but I'll be installing Duncan SSL-2s in the neck and middle, and a SSL-6 in the bridge, and will be using the same Fat 50's wiring. 

If you've ever thought about doing a Korina build, do it! Korina is awesome.

Nice collection! When i first read your thread, I saw: "...spent the last week stripping down the Clear finish Strat...", and thought you meant the finish. But it's just the electronics, right?  ???

BigSteve22 said:
Nice collection! When i first read your thread, I saw: "...spent the last week stripping down the Clear finish Strat...", and thought you meant the finish. But it's just the electronics, right?  ???

My bad. I did not touch the finish :) . I took everything apart and reassembled it from the ground up. One unique challenge I ran into was the previous owner copper lined EVERYTHING, and then painted over the copper with          non-magnetic paint. Total PIA to swap the electronics.

Nice trio. Those all look outstanding. Korina is a spectacular wood. It doesn't need anything to dress it up.

Engineer " Levels, cue Johnny Mathis, 3-2-1"

Korina
I just saw a guitar named Korina
And suddenly no wood
Will ever be as good
To me
Korina

I just played a guitar of Korina
And suddenly I found
How wonderful a sound
Can be
Korina

My gosh, those are exquisite! I agree wholeheartedly: for any given transparent finish, Black Korina is my favorite. I’ve got two, one in Tobacco Burst and one in Transparent Red.

Glam2.jpeg

TRBKJM%20GOM2.jpeg

-VB- said:
My gosh, those are exquisite! I agree wholeheartedly: for any given transparent finish, Black Korina is my favorite. I’ve got two, one in Tobacco Burst and one in Transparent Red.

Glam2.jpeg

TRBKJM%20GOM2.jpeg

Stunning guitars!

That cactus makes me think we’re neighbors. Are you in AZ? I lived in Tucson for several years but now live in the west valley.

Cactus Jack said:
Stunning guitars!

That cactus makes me think we’re neighbors. Are you in AZ? I lived in Tucson for several years but now live in the west valley.

Thanks, and howdy neighbor! Right you are, we are in Marana just on the northwest end of Tucson. The saguaros on our property have featured prominently in my guitar pictures lately :icon_biggrin:

I'm not really one for black pickguard strats, however that Tobacco Burst Strat has always looked incredible VB. Is it heavy?

Axkoa said:
I'm not really one for black pickguard strats, however that Tobacco Burst Strat has always looked incredible VB. Is it heavy?

Thanks! I don’t have a scale to give you an exact weight, but no, it is not particularly heavy.

Nice collection of Korina's..It's truly a beautiful wood...

This is the back of my custom Billy Bo...
5149413037_ee08a0e576_z.jpg

Can you tell us about the neck on the clear finished strat?  It looks like roasted maple back with a double-acting trussrod design.  Do you think that might account for some of the additional brightness?

JohnnyHardtail said:
Can you tell us about the neck on the clear finished strat?  It looks like roasted maple back with a double-acting trussrod design.  Do you think that might account for some of the additional brightness?

You nailed it. The neck is roasted maple and modern construction. The maple neck and alder body is a classic Strat formula so that's probably what I'm picking up on. Also, those Fralin SP43's...holy smokes they are fantastic!

Holy hotness Batman!

Right there with ya.  Visually, black korina is my fav' wood.  I have zero experience with it, but want it as the core wood for my next build.

Beautiful guitars!

Damn, Steve. That's a spectacular body, there. That grain pattern almost looks spalted.  :icon_thumright:

Rgand said:
Damn, Steve. That's a spectacular body, there. That grain pattern almost looks spalted.  :icon_thumright:
Thanks, I thought the same thing, about it being spalted.
Cactus Jack said:
Did you do the finish yourself or is that Warmoth's clear?
That's Warmoth's Clear gloss finish. Looks spectacular on the Korina, and just as nice on the Flame Maple top too.
DangerousR6 said:
Same thing I said when I opened the box: :eek:

Back