Koa super-strat

simonallaway

Freshly assembled Koa-on-mahogany, maple neck 'strat' type thing. It's got a normal Floyd Rose with the R2 nut. For pickups I went with the 'classic' Seymour Duncan pairing of a jazz in the neck and a JB in the bridge.
I have to say that the prep Warmoth did for the nut was spot-on accurate. I haven't had to shim or worry about height there, which I was worried about.

Attachments

• IMG_4305.jpg
    IMG_4305.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 458
  • IMG_4324.jpg
    IMG_4324.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 393
  • IMG_4286.jpg
    IMG_4286.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 242
Right up my ally..  Has that Reb Beach sort of vibe going on too..  Very nice!

Just noticed the dual strap mounting points..  That's interesting, never seen that before.  What is/are the advantages of that? 

Great looking one!
Glad your LSR prep was spot on, mine added to a showcase neck was incorrectly cut too low.
Even with all the shims strings were touching the first fret with no clearance.
Obviously Warmoth took care of me, I'm probably going to give another try to the LSR prep on a neck hoping it's proper this time around. I'd love not to have to use any shim at all, ideally.

War_in_D said:
Just noticed the dual strap mounting points..  That's interesting, never seen that before.  What is/are the advantages of that?

There are two:
1) You can lean the guitar against things with much more confidence that it isn't going to fall over.
2) When I slob on a couch and want to play guitar I will move my strap to the lower button.

I can't claim this as my own idea. Schecter used to do it back in the late 70s on Mark Knopfler's guitars and I always thought ti was a cool look, and it turns out there are those two advantage.

docteurseb said:
Great looking one!
Glad your LSR prep was spot on, mine added to a showcase neck was incorrectly cut too low.
Even with all the shims strings were touching the first fret with no clearance.
Obviously Warmoth took care of me, I'm probably going to give another try to the LSR prep on a neck hoping it's proper this time around. I'd love not to have to use any shim at all, ideally.

That's a bummer! I know what you mean about shims. I don't imagine it makes a tonal difference but just knowing shims are present makes a guitar feel 'impure' to me somehow. Been there, done that.

simonallaway said:
There are two:
1) You can lean the guitar against things with much more confidence that it isn't going to fall over.
2) When I slob on a couch and want to play guitar I will move my strap to the lower button.

I can't claim this as my own idea. Schecter used to do it back in the late 70s on Mark Knopfler's guitars and I always thought ti was a cool look, and it turns out there are those two advantage.

interesting!  I never thought of that, but having "legs" would indeed help out. 

War_in_D said:
Right up my ally..  Has that Reb Beach sort of vibe going on too..  Very nice!

I confess I don't know much about Reb Beach so I did a swift googling and found some shots of his Suhrs. Beautiful! I do see a likeness.

http://www.rebbeach.com/gear_gallery.htm

Carvin made two bottom button guitar for Holdsworth.  Never played one, but at least now I know what the second buttom is for.  Thanks!

Back