Koa / Mahogany Chambered Strat

AleForce1

About a week ago I received my Warmoth Custom Koa/Mahogany chambered Strat body that I ordered back in June.  Upon opening the box I saw that it was unfinished. I thought I selected a clear finish, but looking thru the email I guess I was wrong.  I thought about sending it back and have them put a finish on it, but after looking through the forum I found this thread https://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=25886.0 and decided to try finishing it myself. Attached are photo's of the body out of the box, and also after 1 application of Tru-oil.

The body is routed for a 2Tek bridge, and I will be putting Lollar Special S Series pickups in when they arrive.

2Tek Bridge: 421 grams
Weight of the chambered Koa/Mahogany Chambered body:  1500 grams
Schaller strap locks and volume/tone knobs: 148 grams

I have a showcase Warmoth roasted maple neck arriving next week (I just ordered a few days ago).

Attachments

• KoaMah_front01.jpg
    KoaMah_front01.jpg
    265.7 KB · Views: 256
  • KoaMah_back01.jpg
    KoaMah_back01.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 156
  • KoaMah_front02.jpg
    KoaMah_front02.jpg
    365.4 KB · Views: 335
  • KoaMah_back02.jpg
    KoaMah_back02.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 177
  • KoaMah_front03.jpg
    KoaMah_front03.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 265
  • KoaMah_back03.jpg
    KoaMah_back03.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 206
Congratulations - take your time with the Tru oil and once you have built up enough do not be in any hurry to assemble it. Better to walk away from it for about a month or more before assembly.

(I hope your roasted maple neck does not arrive with a clear coat on it that you thought you had not ordered )

The Warmoth Showcase Roasted Maple Neck I ordered arrived today w/no finish as expected. The Lollar pickups arrive later this week, but will be a few months before I actually finish it. Too much other work to do.

Attachments

• KoaMaho_wRstMapleNeck.jpg
    KoaMaho_wRstMapleNeck.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 282
The Lollar pickups arrived a day early today, and some Vintage Forge pickup mounting rings that I ordered on Amazon arrived yesterday. Not sure I will use the mounting rings or not (or set of chrome ones instead).  Picture of the body with the Lollar Special S pickups, mounting rings, and 2Tek bridge. Still have many more applications of Tru-Oil to do.

Attachments

• KoaMoha_Lollar_2Tek.jpg
    KoaMoha_Lollar_2Tek.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 240
Good choice going with the black pickups and pickup rings!  :icon_thumright:

Yessss! Those mahogany rings look even better, and the black already looked pretty good.

Nice work on the finish, it looks great! Should be a really clean looking guitar once you're all finished.  :yourock:

Thanks. A few more tru-oil applications, and I’ll get it put together. I’ve been waiting a few days before reapplying applications.

Getting close to putting it all together. Just waiting for for 2 more things to arrive.

Attachments

• IMG_0664.jpg
    IMG_0664.jpg
    894.3 KB · Views: 227
Can't believe it's been 5 months since I last did anything with this, but getting close to finishing this up. Between work and a few weeks in Italy I'm finding a little time to move this along.  Thanks to kucoyote's post on https://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=32262.msg452078#msg452078 , I was able to finally get the pickup wires thru the the neck & bridge channels. I tried different kinds of zip ties, other wire but I couldn't get the wires to pull thru the channels.

Just need to finish up wiring everything and line up the pickups after putting some strings on it.

Attachments

• KoaMah012922.jpg
    KoaMah012922.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 127
Finally had the time and energy to finish this guitar.

Attachments

• KoaMaho_20220312.jpg
    KoaMaho_20220312.jpg
    982.3 KB · Views: 121
ragamuffin said:
Looks great! That top is killer and I like the hardware choices

Thanks. With the shininess of the 2Tek bridge and frame I decided to go with chrome knobs and pickup covers. I felt like black covers and knobs looked out of place.

Back