Kind of a new-amp-day

kendog

Is it a new amp day if its your amp but you haven't used it in 15 years and probably haven't even seen it for 10?

After sitting in my parents basement for the last 15 years I finally picked up my Fender Bassman 100. Believe it or not it was my first amp, given to me by my uncle who was the original owner.

I'm not sure of the year somewhere between 1972 and 1976, and for some reason think its a 73'.
The poor girl has been neglected for a long time moved from corner to another and beaten up with stuff stacked on and around her.

Hopefully I'll get to fire her up this weekend and see how she's sounding although I fully expect her to need tubes

Question for you guys, As I stated she has been beaten up over the years, I know the value of this model isn't very high but I'm wondering if I clean her up, maybe replace the vinyl and grill cloth will I  just destroy its value altogether?

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 384
  • photo2.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 359
Good re-find. In most cases collectors want it in original condition, I'd say as long as there's no major rips in the grill or vinyl, then leave it be...Just my.02.. :dontknow:

Agreed.

By the way, I have one of these myself, and I love it.  It has more headroom than your typical Fender, but gets a nice grind when pushed hard.

-Mark

Tubes and filter caps can be replaced with no lowering of vintage goodness, but are a definite improvement if the ones that are in it are worn and tired.  Also, the Death cap can be removed, ground switch bypassed, and a three pronged plug can be added so that you don't electrocute yourself.
Patrick

Thanks guys, I remember the amp being very clean and F'N loud , which is why I haven't used it in so long.
I (my dad) had it re-tubed when I got it back around 1985 and also had the plug upgraded to the 3 prong plug though I do not know if the death cap was removed.

I think I'll leave it the way it is for now (cosmetically). I'll see how she sounds this weekend but think having the tubes and filter caps replace is in the near future.

Nice find. Hows $20 sound?  :toothy12: I kid. Can't wait to hear about how she sounds! Beautiful amp there. I like the staining, personally. It adds character.

If you do have it re-tubed, be sure to put the old ones on eBay. They're worth about a jillion bucks to some people.

There was a ground polarity switch on the back of Fender Amps for a long time, and on it there is an electrolytic cap.  That is the death cap.  If you have the three pronged cord, this has most likely been removed, because you have hot, neutral, and ground with that cord so the polarity should be hard wired in.  But, you can always peek inside to check.  If your Dad replaced the tubes, maybe you should look in there with him, if you are so inclined.
Patrick

It's not a true vintage amp if its been in storage. It needs crystalized beer to have authenticate vintageyness.

Well hurricane Irena rained on my parade (and electricity)  :-\ so I didn't get a chance to see if the amp still worked. Hopefully later this week I'll get a chance to plug her in

Back