Killer VW with 700 Tuning Options

simple

Staff member
VW1.jpg

Flamed Koa Top, Alder body back, Black binding, Wenge Neck with Ebony Fingerboard, Ebony peghead veneer, LSR roller nut, Stainless frets, Hipshot Drop D tuner, Hipshot Trilogy bridge with 3 tuning positions for each string. This guitar can handle about any quick tuning change you need to make.

Now thats a session and studio players masterpiece; nice tuning options;bet those woods sound absolutely beautifull, another Killer machine Greg! :p

It's pretty fun. Plays really well. I built it to handle live shows and quick tuning changes between songs. It worked pretty well for that. I don't play it enough though.

Been thinking about changing the body out for a Strat. Hmmmm.....

Ya know Greg I thought about the Idea of you changing this guitar, and I could see maybe the appeal of the well loved strat, but this one is so original and sweet looking at the same time. almost Brian May like, its very professional looking, heck keep it as is and build yourself the strat model you want, its not like you have a shortage of guitars anyway, whats one more to the collection...hahahahhahaha
Its a classic looker in its own right.  :icon_thumright:

Then again, Im not sure how that body style works for a lap guitar, as far as the contour is in relation to a strat or paul, I knew I would never own a V style guitar the day I was at my buddies house and tried to sit down and play his.  hahhahah
needless to say that wasn't a very comfortable position for long extended jamming, at least not to me a strat guy.

did you have to route a trem cavity or did you just mount leave it as is?

seems like a bad design if the bridge is only made to go over a trem route.

Gregg Stewart said:
It's pretty fun. Plays really well. I built it to handle live shows and quick tuning changes between songs. It worked pretty well for that. I don't play it enough though.

Been thinking about changing the body out for a Strat. Hmmmm.....

It's a brilliant idea to keep the wife in the dark, replace the body because it's ugly and sucks,  then later buy a new neck for it, because after all, it's just sitting there doing nothing, might as well have an ugly ( wink wink) guitar that works. And btw, i don't think it's ugly, it's awesome looking.

that koa top looks pritty darn spiffy! I think it would be cool as a strat... but i think its equally cool as it is.

Highroller said:
I'm corious about that LSR roller nut. Does it stay tuned as well as a Floyd Rose?
:eek:ccasion14:
It stays in tune pretty well but nothing stays in tune as well as a locking nut type of system.

i love the guitar. the axis guitars are soo pretty. i've been thinking about doing one myself when the car is paid for. i wanted a 5a flame or quilt maple top in amber but that koa is so beautiful as is i may change my mind.

also that roller nut, i have no experience with them, are they better than graphite? any significant improvement? i never liked the floyd rose setup. i break strings even in the middle of the board, locking systems can be a pain.

I really like the LSR roller nut. I think it sounds great and works great as a non-binding nut. Graphite nuts would be the next best thing to an LSR.

Back