Kandy lime green over gold leaves Clapton Strat

docteurseb

Here is the latest addition: Clapton Strat with Kandy lime green coat over gold leaves.
The body is Warmoth's vintage construction (alder), the neck isn't.
I routed it for the Clapton mid-boost circuit and 9V battery. I did the gilding and had the Kandy color coat + clear applied by a professional shop.

Sounds like you'd expect from a Strat with Clapton electronics.

Attachments

• DSCF9715.jpg
    DSCF9715.jpg
    884.9 KB · Views: 836
  • DSCF9717.jpg
    DSCF9717.jpg
    946.5 KB · Views: 739
  • DSCF9721.jpg
    DSCF9721.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 765
  • DSCF9728.jpg
    DSCF9728.jpg
    1,014 KB · Views: 529
  • IMG_4396.JPG
    IMG_4396.JPG
    1,023.3 KB · Views: 660
That is totally cool.  Really tones down the garishness of the Clapton gold-leaf strat, and gives it some character at the same time.

The neck isn't scalloped but I heavily rolled the fingerboard edges.
I mimicked the feel of the rolled edges of a Masterbuilt Todd Krause Strat I recently sold, you could say I no longer needed it after doing that gold leaf one.
I wish I had the tools to install frets as rolling edges of a fretted neck takes way too long.

that's one of the coolest finishes I've ever seen. Take it to the Warmoth Suggestions Box!!  :toothy10:

That is really a step above either lime green or gold leaf. Looks really great.

docteurseb said:
The neck isn't scalloped but I heavily rolled the fingerboard edges.
I mimicked the feel of the rolled edges of a Masterbuilt Todd Krause Strat I recently sold, you could say I no longer needed it after doing that gold leaf one.
I wish I had the tools to install frets as rolling edges of a fretted neck takes way too long.

I wondered on the scalloping as one of the photos looked like it might be but the rest did not. Thanks for clarifying.

Yes, rolling edges can be a task to do especially with the harder woods.

Darken the room, lean it up against an amp, put a bottle of vodka on the amp, light the whole thing with a spot and take a picture or three. Looks lovely. Wonder how it would look lit up.

I'm not sure Warmoth would be into gilding, except for a one off, it's just very time consuming.
The slower gilding size (glue) takes 8-10hours to get tacky and ready for gilding. Then add another 1h30-2h to apply the leaves, more than that if this is your first time.

I normally use genuine leaves but went for imitation leaves from Michael's which look really close to genuine 23k gold. Even with just a clear coat it's hard to tell, let alone with a color coat like this one.

Just added a picture of the body under sunlight, I forgot the shop sent me that one when the finish was applied.

That is super-sharp! I was guessing it was pretty time-consuming before you even mentioned it, but the results are fantastic! I'm impressed that it has a fairly even texture to it. I would expect with a leaf that you'd have areas that are more wrinkly than others.

Very nice !!!

I see you have taken the original Clapton Strat rout of 7-Up Green (although yours is much more vibrant) and the Gold Lace Sensors set up.  Not sure if you kept the TBX tone.

For that particular one with LS I kept the TBX, I normally use a regular pot or no-load pot in my other Clapton-style Strats.

Back