Just introducing myself to you fine peoples...

CaevanOShite

Hey. Just registered here; waiting on a one-piece Roasted Swamp Ash body and a one-piece Roasted Quartersawn Maple neck (with the 10" - 16" Compound Radius), among other things, to begin a Tele build- so VERY stoked and looking forward to it!

This'll be my first such guitar building project; I've done most of the usual set-up work before and taken Fender-style bolt-on axes apart and put 'em back together, but this is proving to be a real deep-dive rabbit-hole of arcane information and details! This looks to be an EXCELLENT resource, I can see that I'm in the right place...

Thanks in advance.

Welcome aboard.  If you have any questions, there is usually someone here who has "been there,done that" and will be happy to help you.

Aye, Welcome aboard! Bunch of good folks here who are glad to help and enjoy hearing about others builds.............. :icon_thumright:

Greetings, although I am not sure whether to bid such a potentially displaced leprechaun as yourself a scatological or warm welcome...

Welcome to the forum.

stratamania said:
Greetings, although I am not sure whether to bid such a potentially displaced leprechaun as yourself a scatological or warm welcome...

Welcome to the forum.

Thanks!

Duly noted and amended accordingly.

Caevan O'Shoot said:
stratamania said:

Welcome to the forum.

Thanks!

Duly noted and amended accordingly.

Then welcome to the forum - though you might want to check your signature...  :icon_thumright:

Slowly, gradually moving forward; long waits on delivery for some items, and also a temporary halt on my making ANY further purchases of parts, tools, supplies due to my place of employment being closed down. I'm confident that it's just a matter of time, and not too long, before I am comfortable making any necessary expenditures- and that it will all be WELL worth the wait!

I'm also not finally decided on a few things- I'll be posting lots of questions and/or poring over topically related Forum Search results in due time! Primarily concerning finish options (if at all) for the roasted maple: fretboard; headstock face, sides and back; and the back of the neck...

Pickups are Lindy Fralin Blues Special Tele pickups, Hybrid Stagger.

They'll be selected via a Free-Way 3-Way/6-Position Switch, which, along with the 'usual' three selections, allows the addition of the following combinations, and more: both on in Parallel/Out-Of-Phase, both on in SERIES/Out-Of-Phase, and both on in Series/IN-phase.

I'll be going with a " '50s Les Paul wiring for Telecaster" scheme. I have a bunch of different suitable caps in various values and a couple of pairs of 250k pots that I'll be trying and comparing via alligator-clips and long wires. Further down the road, I might even opt for a push/pull or push/push tone pot to select between two different tone-caps. At first, I'll likely go with either a .0022mfd or a .0015mfd cap.

So here are a few 'WIP' photos:

Attachments

• Tele build WIP with bridge pickups pickguard etc.JPG
    Tele build WIP with bridge pickups pickguard etc.JPG
    1,022.8 KB · Views: 84
  • Telecaster body back Comfort Contours.JPG
    Telecaster body back Comfort Contours.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 63
  • Tele build WIP close up of bridge and pickup assembly etc.JPG
    Tele build WIP close up of bridge and pickup assembly etc.JPG
    922.9 KB · Views: 65
  • Tele mock-up.JPG
    Tele mock-up.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 65
Looking good.  That RSA looks like my RSA finished in amber tint.  That project  is stalled to next year until my move is complete.
I too am thinking the freeway switch with 2 push/pull pots.  The 2 p/p posts will control taps on the 2 pups individually. They are overwound to P90 territory with a tap to vintage. 

TBurst Std said:
Looking good.  That RSA looks like my RSA finished in amber tint.

Thanks! And that is indeed what I have, as well! Well, RSA in Vintage Tint, perhaps similar, if not identical. The degree of darkening with a given finish can really vary on RSA, huh?  I was fortunate that they also had a one-piece RSA body for me.

TBurst Std said:
That project  is stalled to next year until my move is complete.

Sorry that you've got to wait! Bestaluck with the move- safe travels, figuratively as well as literally.

TBurst Std said:
I too am thinking the freeway switch with 2 push/pull pots.  The 2 p/p posts will control taps on the 2 pups individually. They are overwound to P90 territory with a tap to vintage.

That sounds like a great arrangement! I do love P-90's and their like, and taps like that can be very cool.

These pickups are a bit overwound, but only about 5% above average vintage-spec or so; I'll just use the volume-control and my "touch" (fingerstyle 100% of the time), and also those out-of-phase and series options.

rick2- 'Rats of Saint Felix'... I like that! Too cool.

TBurst Std said:
Looking good.  That RSA looks like my RSA finished in amber tint. 

I like to think of my RSA in Vintage Tint as, "Butterscotch-Caramel"...  :icon_thumright:

I really love the old Butterscotch look; but I really wanted to try this RSA. I think that I'll be very glad that I did...

Welcome aboard, and great looking guitar ya got going there.  This site is an excellent resource for everything partscaster.  Some really great folks here who are very knowledgeable about this craft.

Good luck on that beauteous Tele.

Back