Jazzmaster's turned up - now what colour do I paint it?

Ace Flibble

Why Parcelforce took until 8:27pm to deliver this, I have no idea. Still, at least it's here.

IMG_1410b.jpg

IMG_1411b.jpg

Plain, light basswood. Not a streak in sight (the small, darker dots you can see are small pieces of wood and packaging, not part of the body itself). Showcase listed it at 4lbs, but I've had other 4lb bodies that have felt heavier. Dunno if it's dried out a little in transist or the extra routing took another ounce or two off, but either way this is great news for me and my weak back.
It's going to be HxH, only reason I opted for the middle P-90 route is to make wiring between the switch and volume & tone controls easier to manage and fit easily.

Got a parchment pickguard and chrome bridge/tuners to go with it, undecided on the rest of the hardware since it'll depend on the finish I go for.

Pretty boring for now, as basswood ends to be, but intending to jazz it up (pun not intended) with a fancy finish - only question is, I can't decide which one:

Goldtop/Aztec gold with rosewood fretboard and chrome pickups. This was my first idea, since I've been in love with Josh Farro's gold Tele Deluxe and Richie Sambora's Mastercaster for a long time.
josh.jpg

Sienna burst with maple fretboard and uncovered parchment pickups. Probably the first finish I ever fell in love with. Really it needs ash, but I think it could be an interesting mix with basswood. My main problem with this one is I'm no pro finisher and will be rattle canning it; a good burst finish may be beyond me, let alone one which requires such subtle mixing of colours.
sienna_sunburst_stratocaster_002.jpg

Colour-change blue (teal/blue/purple) with a maple fretboard and covered chrome pickups. Loved this since before I knew what an electric guitar was! Guy down the street used to have a TVR painted like this, always wanted it on a guitar. Suspect most will deem it heresy though (I play pop-rock, it works for me!). I've wanted it on a Jazzmaster for a while since I think all the curves will really make the most of it.
BLUE_PASSION_CUSTOM__FLIP_PAINTS.jpg

Pearl flake violet with either an ebony or maple fretboard and chrome covered pickups. I love purple more than Prince in a bath of grape juice with Barney. Probably my favourite colour on its own, not sure it'll work on the guitar though - I can't think of any way of really making the hardware/neck match it. Plus it's the most expensive colour to buy, almost twice what the basic gold is.
ScreenShot2012-09-12at23.jpg

Or of course, I could just give it a tinted clear coat. I actually prefer woods with less obvious grain for clear/natural finishes, so the usual "basswood must have a solid colour!!" thing doesn't really mean much to me. Seems a bit of a shame to not got whole-hog and do a fancy colour finish, though.

Do something simple and put one of these on it! 
http://www.quickguards.com/index.php?shop_fenother

These things are sick!

I suspect you'll find the color-change and flake paint jobs challenging for someone new at this.  If you know a good body shop, they could probably do the spray work for you, and show you some wild pearlescent and flake finishes.

While those have a nice look, they're not useful with the pickup/controls I'm using. And I'm in England, so~

That said, I did consider painting the pickguard as well. At the moment it's plain ol' parchment. If I end up going with either the flip paint or the purple, I might give the pickguard an indigo pearl sheen, or the gold finish might get paired with a bronze pearl sheen or light tinted coat over the pickguard, just to knock them slightly closer together.

Purple!!! Parchment guard...bound ebony fingerboard...chrome hardware...tasty, hot, different... :toothy10:

my vote is always for sonic blue with tortoise guard. yeah, it's not on your list, but it could be :)

Not when I hate tortoise :icon_biggrin: It's quite irrational. Had a Squier once which was awful and was white with a tortoise guard. Have never gotten over it. That guitar... did things. Bad things.
Though I have considered sonic blue before, for a Thinline, so I'll give it a think.

I don't think that's Sonic Blue. This is Sonic Blue...

PT2659C.jpg

At least, according to Warmoth. Here's another one with claims to that color...

57HotRodStrat_SonicBlue_003.jpg

Not quite the same, but nothing like what Tonar's showing above.

Altar said:
I was referring to the sonic blueness rave by ab, above tonar's post.

I know my colors, sonny boy. :icon_jokercolor:

Perhaps, but I don't think so. What is apparent is that you don't know who you think you're kidding, or what's involved with trying to pull it off.

But, that's ok. It'll catch up with you eventually. It always does. Then you'll know better. We all go through it.

Cagey said:
Altar said:
I was referring to the sonic blueness rave by ab, above tonar's post.

I know my colors, sonny boy. :icon_jokercolor:

Perhaps, but I don't think so. What is apparent is that you don't know who you think you're kidding, or what's involved with trying to pull it off.

But, that's ok. It'll catch up with you eventually. It always does. Then you'll know better. We all go through it.

Hey! I have my official kindergarten licence...

I never can remember chartreuse, though.

So a plain shade of blue is winning here with purple second, on another board flip blue is winning with purple second. I think I might try and split the difference, make a very subtle flip blue with a slight purple sheen to it so it'll be a flat light-medium, very Fender-esque blue when facing it straight-on in regular light, but then have a more metallic bright blue or purple tint from particular angles.

Now I just gotta decide on a fretboard/neck. Been keen to get a 1-piece flame maple neck for a while, abalone dots could go well with the blue, but ebony with white binding is very tempting...

Saw this on another board. I am a big purple fan as well and this purple jazzmaster has me deciding to do a purple frost firebird, but with tele neck and brent mason pickup config. . .and of course JTV variax guts. . .

http://www.tdpri.com/forum/telecaster-discussion-forum/184464-jazzcaster-telemaster-3.html

Ah, so that's what Purple Frost looks like in the wild. Good to finally see an example of it.

Pretty sure i'll be doing flip blue now, but over a dark purple basecoat rather than black so the off-angle (shadow) section has a more intense purple colour than it would otherwise have, while the flat (mid) and facing (highlight) will be regular metallic blue and teal, respectively. The gold is still very tempting though. I'm weighing up pickup choices and fretboard choices and I think I'll be making my final paint decision based on that. Ebony or maple and modern-toned pickups for blue, standard-toned pickups and rosewood for gold. Just working out pricing and time.

I have wanted a sparkle blue jazzmaster from warmoth for years.  It will be my next build (whenever that happens).  I say go with what you always wanted.  sparkly purple, or that changing blue.  Bare wood figuring is awesome. but there's always room for sparkle!!

Back