Jazzmaster Pickup Mounting.

Jacob93

I'm looking into a top routed Jazzmaster build with a HH configuration and was wondering about the pickup routing options.

Would I direct mount the pickups into the wood and go for the option of a wood mount?

Or is there another option for how to mount a humbucker on a Jazzmaster - I don't really want to use a pickup ring if possible!

Wood mount is available as an option and you would use that if you want to direct mount the pickups.

Another more expensive option is to use a humbucker rout and use something like a Fu-Tone PMS mounting system.

If you did mean to say 'top route', them you'd need a pickguard and would mount the pickups to that.

Fat Pete said:
If you did mean to say 'top route', them you'd need a pickguard and would mount the pickups to that.

I did mean top route, my mistake.

And in order to do that would I just need the springs and screws - no pickup ring needed and no wood mounting needed?

Jacob93 said:
Fat Pete said:

And in order to do that would I just need the springs and screws - no pickup ring needed and no wood mounting needed?

No mistake, just checking you meant what you said.

Yes, just the springs and screws (and an appropriately routed pickguard of course). The only reason to use rings would be looks, or if you're using a tall bridge like a non-recessed TOM and want to match the pickup angle to the strings better by using the tall, slanted rings.

Fat Pete said:
Jacob93 said:
Fat Pete said:

No mistake, just checking you meant what you said.

Yes, just the springs and screws (and an appropriately routed pickguard of course). The only reason to use rings would be looks, or if you're using a tall bridge like a non-recessed TOM and want to match the pickup angle to the strings better by using the tall, slanted rings.

Perfect - appreciate your help thank you!

I misread the top rout bit when you were asking about direct mounting pickups as that as explained by Fat Pete is for rear routs.

Back