Is the (larger) humbucker routing suitable for a (smaller) TV Jones pickup?

Christian Jones

For the neck pickup rout of a strat-tele hybrid body w/ pickguard, is it okay to get the humbucker rout for the neck even if I plan to put a (smaller) TV Jones pickup in the neck? Because at some point I may want to put a full size Gibson style humbucker in the neck and I want to make sure the body is routed for that so all I'd have to do is get a new pickguard w/ the larger humbucker cut. But for now I'll have a TV Jones Magnatron in the neck and since it's smaller than a regular humbucker you'd think there'd be no issue but I just wanna make sure Warmoth's neck humbucker rout will line up properly and all that so I can put the smaller TV Jones humbucker in that space w/ no issues. Can this be done?

rick2 said:
Are you using a pick Guard?
Yeah Warmoth's Strat-Tele Hybrid pickguard with the TV Jones cut in the neck. I guess what I'm asking is, for the neck pickup routing is the humbucker rout and the TV Jones rout both done in the same exact spot on the body? If yes then I should have no problem getting the larger sized humbucker rout and mounting the smaller-sized TV Jones pickup over it (w/ a pickguard), but that's what I'm trying to confirm if anyone knows

As you are using a pickguard it seems a reasonable plan of action. For the TV Jones you probably would want the Universal type and use the clip mount system with the pickguard like a humbucker.

Perhaps check with Warmoth as I have not done this so I am theorising.

TV jones is wider I believe. May have to enlarge a humbucker route

I’ve put mini humbucker in humbucker routes no problem.  In dealing with switches I’ve put enlarged routs with a dremel.  As long as it’s covered with the pick guard you can’t tell.

Thanks for the input guys, I've contacted them via email but I've also just kind of deduced that the TV Jones pickup should be able to fit in a regular humbucker cavity since TV Jones offers this particular product
https://www.stewmac.com/parts-and-hardware/all-hardware-and-parts-by-instrument/electric-guitar-parts/electric-guitar-covers-and-plates/tv-jones-em1-gibson-style-pickup-mounting-ring.html
... which allows you to retrofit a TV Jones pickup in a Gibson style humbucker cavity, so.

Yes, don't forget a humbucker rout is larger than a humbucker's dimensions. So it should have enough room and those StewMac rings just confirm it.

Back