Is it safe to sand padouk?

PunchlineChar

I have an original ML3 Bea by Chapman, which has a padouk neck. I haven't played it much since I built my strat, mostly because the neck is too thick for me (.925" inches at the first fret). Would it be safe for me to use some sandpaper to reshape the neck? I'd like to make an asymmetrical profile kind of like the EVH. I don't want to do it if the sawdust is too dangerous.

If it were me, I'd do it... but I'd wear a dust mask.  My thoughts on the matter are 'you only have one set of lungs' so I personally rock the dust mask on a regular basis.

Always wear a dust mask, but I believe all of us have surgical masks that will work just fine, dozens lying around these days, for some reason.

I've done lots of carpentry. It's not like you're working in a padouk sawmill.  You'll be fine.

Wear a respirator with a prefilter. Once you change the filters and see what you were breathing in, you'll never power sand anything ever again without one.

After building and renovating houses, I must have a pine forest in my lungs.  How is it possible I'm even writing this?

I would suggest a good dust mask or respirator. Padauk  can be especially irritating. Another problem with it is that the sawdust from it is like powdered dye. Talcum powder type powdered. It gets on everything and stains things easily. It's a wonderful tonewood, but a pain in the posterior............ :headbang:

hey, fresh, mail me that tone dust if you dont want it. Dig this: wood is cellulose. cellulose is a polysaccharide. Polysaccharides are complex sugars, therefore wood is candy

rick2 said:
After building and renovating houses, I must have a pine forest in my lungs.  How is it possible I'm even writing this?

:laughing11: :laughing3:

Fortunately, the lungs are good at coating that stuff in phlegm and then launching it back out. The whole reason asbestos is so dangerous is that the lungs can't expel it, so it builds up over time and destroys your lung tissue. It's also shaped like needles for extra fun.

Give it a shot.  If we don't hear back from you, then we'll know.  :icon_biggrin:

Back