Important CITES Amendment for Australia 26 November 2019

Re-Pete

Attached below is official Australian Govt announcement re: change in CITES & the need for permits.

The Rosewoods we musicians like to see on fretboards will no longer require a Permit under the CITES Treaty, to import into Australia from 26 November 2019.

So long as it is a musical instrument, or integral part of an instrument and/or under 10Kg.

Please note that Brazilian Rosewood is still a prohibited import under CITES.

https://www.environment.gov.au/biodiversity/wildlife-trade/publications/cites-timber-species-factsheet-2019

I was playing guitars two days ago that I swear had rosewood fret boards, shoot, who knew

stratamania said:
Those are the new CITEs international regulations so also apply elsewhere than Australia.

Yes amendments were made to the 2017 declaration after lobbying by musical instrument manufacturers.... I think the commencement date is spread across various countries or trading blocs, this is Australia's date. I will be in contact with Warmoth soon!

Re-Pete said:
stratamania said:
Those are the new CITEs international regulations so also apply elsewhere than Australia.

Yes amendments were made to the 2017 declaration after lobbying by musical instrument manufacturers.... I think the commencement date is spread across various countries or trading blocs, this is Australia's date. I will be in contact with Warmoth soon!

I suppose the date could be staggered. There was a thread on TGP just a week or two ago where a guy in the UK had bought a 60s Strat had not filled in any import paperwork as he did not know about it and the guitar has been ceased and likely to be destroyed. It may have had Brazilian Rosewood which is not part of the changes in regards to exemptions.

I think in many participating countries the CITES II Treaty Amendment is due to take effect from end of November or thereabouts. But best to check with your country's authorities about if/when it takes effect and how far they have amended...

Just pleasantly surprised the more generic Dalbergia species (Rosewood) has had some slack cut for musical instrument manufacture. I can't emphasise enough, though, to check with your Govt's authorities BEFORE buying something that you may think will end up seized.

I know in Australia, since that 2017 Declaration, the Australian Distributors for guitars have been tearing their hair out with the necessary paperwork to bring into Australia ANY guitar with rosewood parts on it. So they will be pleased that this will no longer be necessary.

I understand special "cutouts" in rules/regs for different industries for different things, but I also understand the need to say no. You invariably end up with this "slippery slope" problem, where somebody else will say "Well, you exempted them because they're only a tiny part of the problem with no discernible impact. So are we, dammit!" Then, before you know it, you have to build a library the size of France to hold all the published rules and regulations. Tax code is a perfect example.

Cagey said:
I understand special "cutouts" in rules/regs for different industries for different things, but I also understand the need to say no. You invariably end up with this "slippery slope" problem, where somebody else will say "Well, you exempted them because they're only a tiny part of the problem with no discernible impact. So are we, dammit!" Then, before you know it, you have to build a library the size of France to hold all the published rules and regulations. Tax code is a perfect example.

I agree with you Cagey..... but there were already loopholes where a US manufacturer could source Brazilian Rosewood inside USA (e.g. PRS) and use it in guitar manufacture so long as the product was never exported. And that was the most endangered Dalbergia species.

I think ultimately we all are going to have to learn to play on fret boards that are NOT endangered or listed species.

I like the feel of rosewood under the fingers, I prefer it to others I have tried... BUT I have only tried Ebony, Maple, Pau Ferro & Laurel on guitars/basses and I know there are other woods that probably have a similar feel to rosewood..

I've always been a big fan of Ebony due to its density, which makes it almost have no feel. Someday, I hope to have a burnished roasted Maple neck with a Richlite fretboard and stainless frets. Should play so fast you could go back in time , like instant rice in the microwave :laughing7:

Cagey said:
I've always been a big fan of Ebony due to its density, which makes it almost have no feel. Someday, I hope to have a burnished roasted Maple neck with a Richlite fretboard and stainless frets. Should play so fast you could go back in time , like instant rice in the microwave :laughing7:

I am a fan of the feel of ebony too but I would quite like to try Rocklite Ebano, and they also have a rosewood substitute. Apparently it is made from some type of sustainable hardwood rather than the Richlite paper composite.

Back