I'm not saying I'm a gold digger...

ragamuffin

But I did recently score myself a nice pair of Supro reissue humbucker-sized Cleartone/"Goldfoil" pickups.

I love the sound of these things, and I think I'll be "forced" design a build around them! Of course that might not be for a while since I still haven't finished my current build...

Anyways, I've been curious about how these pickups are constructed, so I plan on taking them apart and posting some pics, and hopefully I'll be able to reassemble them. I also want to swap the "S" logo covers to something a little less bling-y; either an open or no-hole cover.

dXMUyc8.jpg

Snap, it's getting hot in herre! Not that my opinion amounts to a hill of beans in this crazy world, but I like the blingy covers.

So after some intense trial by combat (seriously, I've never had this much trouble removing a pickup cover!) I was able to take a look at their unique internal design! There appears to be two short, slightly thicker than average bar magnets sitting on their sides, inside of the coil. I assume KST-HB stands for Kingston Humbucker(sized).

c7noLCA.jpg

WSnSyyI.jpg

The jury is still out on whether or not I'll keep the "S" covers on them, they definitely are kind of cool

Hey! Those are GREAT covers!!! LOL!  :laughing7:

The humbucker size and the mini both have the same size coil. Yes, those are Alnico 5 magnets which are also the same magnets used in the Vista Tone pickup.

TroubledTreble said:
Hey! Those are GREAT covers!!! LOL!  :laughing7:

The humbucker size and the mini both have the same size coil. Yes, those are Alnico 5 magnets which are also the same magnets used in the Vista Tone pickup.

Hey there Mr. Roadhouse! Good to see you here!

Back