I Paid the Ransom!

War_in_D

So, I get this email from Photobucket this morning saying that if I don't log in all of my pictures would be deleted.  I had a TON of pics in there of guitars I've owned in the past, that unfortunately I no long had pictures of on my current computer due to losing hard drives, etc..  Once I get to Photobucket, I discover that I can only see 250 pictures and the rest were blurred out.. until I committed to buying one of their plans.  So, I paid the ransom of $5.99 for a month so I could get in there and get my pictures back.

Found my first Warmoth build from probably around 2006-ish (same body and apparently two different necks), and another Warmoth Archtop Soloist that I had slapped together about 8-10 years ago.  Thought I would share them. 

Attachments

• First Warmoth Build.jpg
    First Warmoth Build.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 158
  • First Warmoth Build 3.jpg
    First Warmoth Build 3.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 137
  • First Warmoth Build 4.jpg
    First Warmoth Build 4.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 136
  • First Warmoth Build 2.jpg
    First Warmoth Build 2.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 130
  • First Warmoth Build 5.jpg
    First Warmoth Build 5.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 141
  • Archtop Soloist.jpg
    Archtop Soloist.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 146
  • Archtop Soloist Neck.jpg
    Archtop Soloist Neck.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 145
$6 ain't bad, though.  Much better than going through a recovery company if you ever experience a mechanical hard drive failure.

Yeah, it was worth the $6 I guess.  I got back a bunch of pics of old Kramers, Jacksons and some Carvins I had as well.  Guitars I hadn't even thought about it years. lol

I downloaded all of mine back when they started the whole "we are going to hold you photos hostage" if you don't pay us....I said like hell I will, and promptly moved my pics...

DangerousR6 said:
I downloaded all of mine back when they started the whole "we are going to hold you photos hostage" if you don't pay us....I said like hell I will, and promptly moved my pics...

I guess I must have missed those emails..  lol

I think today was the first time I've even logged into PB in several years.

Flickr is free up to 1tb I think. It’ll never put the big ol photobucket watermark over the top of the pics either.

I started using imgur when that happened. Now they're doing it too. Free image hosting is basically never going to work as a long term business model. The death of forums might lower us back into the noise,and extend the life of the free ride, but the same will happen wherever we go eventually

Chad11491 said:
Flickr is free up to 1tb I think. It’ll never put the big ol photobucket watermark over the top of the pics either.

Flickr on a free plan allows up to 1000 photos and videos. Of course you can get a paid plan at any time which offers a number of other benefits.

I hope you are downloading all your photos so you will have them forever. Keep them on a flash drive if you don't have disk space. I use Imgur now and so far, so good.

Chad11491 said:
I moved a bunch to Flickr, and use to upload new pics as well... :headbang:

Did you get the email saying that some of your photos broke their guidelines, with a very blurry 'pink' coloured picture and 'you really should pay our ransom reasonable hosting fee'?

Personally, I just ignore their emails. Surprised they're still going to be honest.

Rgand said:
I hope you are downloading all your photos so you will have them forever. Keep them on a flash drive if you don't have disk space. I use Imgur now and so far, so good.

Yup, getting them all moved over.

amigarobbo said:
Did you get the email saying that some of your photos broke their guidelines, with a very blurry 'pink' coloured picture and 'you really should pay our ransom reasonable hosting fee'?

Personally, I just ignore their emails. Surprised they're still going to be honest.

No, it just said that it had been over a year since I logged in and if I didn't log back in they were going to dump all my pics.

USB stick isn't forever. SSD and flash are capacitive based technologies and will degrade over probably a 10 year life. Writable CD is the closest consumer technology to lifetime storage, but of course it doesn't hold as much as more recent technologies.

swarfrat said:
USB stick isn't forever. SSD and flash are capacitive based technologies and will degrade over probably a 10 year life. Writable CD is the closest consumer technology to lifetime storage, but of course it doesn't hold as much as more recent technologies.
USB sticks are quite resilient tho, I have a Cruzr Titanium that has been washed and dried so many times I lost count. Tough as nails...

Back