I have lost my practice space....

Verne Bunsen

...to a wild beast!

Photo%20May%2029%2C%205%2035%2024%20PM.jpg

Also: New drums day! Roland TD-17KVX for the boy. He is in hog heaven! He monitors mostly through headphones but I've also run his stereo outs to the #2 inputs on my Line 6 Power Cabs, works a treat! It was a bit more of a cost commitment than I'd have liked but I figure that while even a cheap acoustic kit plays like a real drum set, you have to cross a certain threshold to get there with an electronic kit. I wanted a "real" high hat (the electronic trigger mounts and is manipulated on a real high hat stand), mesh snare and tom pads and good multi-zone cymbals. You can even "choke" these cymbals which is awesome. All in all an investment that we're both pretty excited about. We got him a membership to Drumeo which is an online community of drummers with lessons and forums and clinics and he's been devouring it.
:band:

Awesome, love to see the youngsters develop a passion for playing. Thought about switching from acoustic drums to electronic drums. A friend has a Roland set up for sale. I'd probably practice more... :band:

Congrats. I keep hoping one day curiousity will give way to actual jamming with dad.  We're just now approaching the window of getting more seriously interested in learning an instrument.

swarfrat said:
Congrats. I keep hoping one day curiousity will give way to actual jamming with dad.  We're just now approaching the window of getting more seriously interested in learning an instrument.

I'm hoping for that too! He has pretty good taste in music (just dig the tee shirt...), so I'll happily learn whatever songs he's interested in working out. Heck, lately he listens mostly to Blink-182 and I've known how to play a great many of their songs since I was not much older than him, haha!

DangerousR6 said:
Awesome, love to see the youngsters develop a passion for playing. Thought about switching from acoustic drums to electronic drums. A friend has a Roland set up for sale. I'd probably practice more... :band:

Man acoustic drums would be great but they are just so loud for the house. It is a great time to be a musician though, with such great electronic options. Not too long ago I'd have said I'd never give up my tube amps, but now my guitar rig is Helix and FRFR speakers. And I love it. I think this kit will provide him with enough "drum kit feel" that getting behind an acoustic kit later won't feel totally foreign. That is my hope and why I sprung for the kit we got. In a few years if he is still in to it and playing with bands or something, maybe we'll re-visit the acoustic drum situation....

-VB- said:
DangerousR6 said:

Man acoustic drums would be great but they are just so loud for the house. It is a great time to be a musician though, with such great electronic options. Not too long ago I'd have said I'd never give up my tube amps, but now my guitar rig is Helix and FRFR speakers. And I love it. I think this kit will provide him with enough "drum kit feel" that getting behind an acoustic kit later won't feel totally foreign. That is my hope and why I sprung for the kit we got. In a few years if he is still in to it and playing with bands or something, maybe we'll re-visit the acoustic drum situation....
No need to give up tube amp, sometimes smaller is better. A little 20 can sound just as good as a 120, or you can always use an attenuator.. :dontknow:

I've had my eye on the Marshall SC20 for a while. Never had a real Marshall (well, the Lead 12 head), and I know a ton of stuff can get the basic sound. (Especially if Johan Segeborn is playing it), but ... at some point in my life, I want at a JCM800 quarter stack. Just because it says Marshall.

swarfrat said:
I've had my eye on the Marshall SC20 for a while. Never had a real Marshall (well, the Lead 12 head), and I know a ton of stuff can get the basic sound. (Especially if Johan Segeborn is playing it), but ... at some point in my life, I want at a JCM800 quarter stack. Just because it says Marshall.
I have a Marshall... :laughing7:
th

Back on the subject... I do have acoustic drums. And I sold my electronic kit. Because they're not the same and the dynamics are different and if you're gonna practice and play 100% electronic you're hampering your dynamics and yada yada yada and now I just don't ever play them because I don't have time when I can make noise.  I also love big drums.

I've been talking for months about selling my midline kit, keeping my snare and cymbals for recording and going back to an electronic kit. And I need to actually do it and 1) reclaim my music space, and 2) actually be able to get some playing time in.

DangerousR6 said:
No need to give up tube amp, sometimes smaller is better. A little 20 can sound just as good as a 120, or you can always use an attenuator.. :dontknow:

No doubt. For me the switch was prompted because even a small amp doesn't go "napping baby (and wife)" quiet. Monitoring in headphones and recording direct without mics was a total game changer for me. Just being honest here but I don't even miss my amps at all any more.

swarfrat said:
Back on the subject... I do have acoustic drums. And I sold my electronic kit. Because they're not the same and the dynamics are different and if you're gonna practice and play 100% electronic you're hampering your dynamics and yada yada yada and now I just don't ever play them because I don't have time when I can make noise.  I also love big drums.

I've been talking for months about selling my midline kit, keeping my snare and cymbals for recording and going back to an electronic kit. And I need to actually do it and 1) reclaim my music space, and 2) actually be able to get some playing time in.

I definitely feel this, the electronic kit is totally a matter of practicality. He can (and does) jump on this kit at all hours and bash on it with headphones, and while you can hear the sounds of the sticks on the pads it is not bothersome and not enough to wake someone who is sleeping. What you describe though is exactly why I wanted to spring for something better than the basic "entry level" models: I wanted something that was sufficiently "drum like" that an acoustic kit would at least feel familiar. Things like a high hat on a real high hat stand and heads that feel like drum heads instead of rubber mats. In my mind it's the difference between him sitting behind a good acoustic kit later and saying "woah this is freaking awesome" as opposed to "what am I supposed to do with this?" Not sure if that makes any sense at all outside of my own head, haha! So while I totally accept that you give something up with electronic drums, I'm just happy that the technology has advanced to where they are at least a reasonable facsimile. I look forward to him coming to me and telling me he has reached the limitations of the equipment  :icon_biggrin:

-VB- said:
DangerousR6 said:

No doubt. For me the switch was prompted because even a small amp doesn't go "napping baby (and wife)" quiet. Monitoring in headphones and recording direct without mics was a total game changer for me. Just being honest here but I don't even miss my amps at all any more.
Ahhhh, yes, headphones is a definite must then...

My son used to have an electronic kit and both of us agreed that (once we swapped out the rubber pads for mesh ones) even the entry level kit was pretty OK for practice, but where it really fell through were the cymbals (even with upgraded ones with bell/rim/choke). If I had to set up a new kit today, it would probably be electronic but with acoustic cymbals. Which actually I have seen on TV being used in some 'last night of the proms goes belgium' - kind of thing.

That looks like an awesome setup. Over the last 6 months or so I've been doing research into drums, just wish I had the space at home for at least an electronic kit. I love the idea of being able to flesh out my songs with more realistic drums, one day I'll own my own home studio with sound proof drum room!

Back