I Did it again! New body and neck on the way

SeanM

Hey Guys,

I couldn't help myself, I ordered my next project from Warmoth.

Bright Red Strat body:
-Swamp Ash
-Top Route
-S-S-S
-American Standard Trem
From the screamin' deal section

Goncalo Alves Neck:
-Goncalo Alves
-Goncalo Alves
-1 11/16" nut
-10-16 compound radius
-6230 SS frets
-Standard Thin
-Cream face dots
Showcase Neck

So I was not planning on this build, and now I need ideas. I've been looking for a strat for a little while, and I'd like to keep it kind of vintage modern.

I'm thinking Chrome hardware, SD pickups not sure which, "Magnificent seven" Wiring. Does anyone have suggestions for pickguard colour, pickups, or any suggestions at all?

I tend to suggest the same thing over and over, but...  I would go with Roadhouse pickups.  They sound great.  And I love the bakelite pickup covers from Retro Spec guitars for that look that very few new guitars have.  I like the traditional strat sound, with the added ability to handle the higher gain stuff.  There is a reason that guitar sound has survived this long.  The neck bridge blend knob is another really fun thing to add to the wiring to give a number of other sound possibilities.
Patrick

I'm hoping that I can get the neck and body I want for my next build from the Showcase, but the neck seems to be considerably less common than the body  :dontknow:

how 'bout white/black/white pickguard, lil screamin' demon, duckbucker, and a little '59 (bridge-m-neck), schaller locking tuners, R6 neckplate.

AutoBat said:
how 'bout white/black/white pickguard, lil screamin' demon, duckbucker, and a little '59 (bridge-m-neck), schaller locking tuners, R6 neckplate.

That is a combo thats been floating around in my head, except for the white guard, I'll have to play around with some color combos to decide on that one

For "classic" it has to be a white pickguard. For anti-classic, I would go with blue shell or silver pearl. Strats with too many contrasts get too busy - pearl pickguard PLUS quilted purplebursts etc. But red is good. Buddy Holly DIED for your sins....

stubhead said:
For "classic" it has to be a white pickguard. For anti-classic, I would go with blue shell or silver pearl. Strats with too many contrasts get too busy - pearl pickguard PLUS quilted purplebursts etc. But red is good. Buddy Holly DIED for your sins....

I have noticed that white is the "classic" colour. I was looking at a black/red/black guard but that looks a little excessive for what I am going for. I've been playing with the idea of Tortoise shell with white pickup covers and knobs.

Just put together some examples of the two colour combo's I'm working with.

Let me know what you think.

Strat.jpg

Strat2.jpg

I agree. Do the black. The tortoise gets lost. Plus, it makes the whole guitar look a bit bland.

For the p-ups: Lil' Screamin Demon, Duckbucker in the middle and Cool Rails in the neck. When you've got a 5-position switch and a blender, you can get a great bit of variety from blending the bridge and neck coils together. I've used that in my latest Strat and highly recommend it.

Positions 2 and 4 allow you to blend the neck in with the bridge coil and the bridge in with the neck coil. Check out the spec here: http://www.fralinpickups.com/images/blendschem2.jpg

Two points: that "bright red" is coming across on my monitor are almost fluorescent orange/red;
also, there are a number of differing ideas of what "tortoise" really is. Warmoth's tortoise leans way over toward the reddish side it's own self, their "brown shell" or even "Anaconda" looks more tortoise-y to me than does their tortoise. Not that I've spent that much time sawing turtles up, but YKWIM. There are even places that list both "red tortoise" and "brown tortoise" pickguards, it's probably just due to some historical accident that the redder ones even exist - Alfonzo the Plastic Dye Mixer Guy had a three martini lunch, tipped in way too much red dye on a batch but somebody famous REALLY LIKED IT THAT WAY  or somesuch. Just poking at Warmoth pictures though, their "amber" is almost pink and their Fiesta Red goes all Pepto-Bismol on me, I better kick thet thar monitor agin'... a white guard would be nice. :toothy12: :toothy12: :toothy12: But NOT that hideous "minty" white/green dilute fish-booger color, that's another one that Alfonzo really zoinked.

AutoBat said:
I like the red/white combo.  Mark Knopfler Style
MarkKnopflerStrat2.jpg

Ya i was thinking about that as well, but I will never be as good as that man, so I'd say i'm not worthy of a guitar that looks like his.

Stubhead: I know what you mean about the difference in tortoise pickguards, If I do choose to go with tortoise it will be the warmoth tortoise which to me is a more brownish red then others I have seen. it will not be that red guard in the picture.

Back