HSS Lace Sensors + Piezo + Schaller 5 way

monchavo

:sad:

A very close and dear friend of mine has procured himself an HSS set of Lace Sensor pickups - three alumitones.

He wants to drop these onto a pre-existing pickguard for a Parker Fly.  The parker Fly also has a piezo pickup wired into it.

Because of the body depth he has had to opt for a Schaller low profile switch. (Mega Switch "S")

I have good soldering skills and can do the physical wiring of the setup but am not confident in my ability to design which wires go where, first time onto the lugs of the new switch. The photographs below are of the switch and the Oak Grigsby which is is too deep for the body and will be replaced.

Attachments

• IMG-20210722-WA0007.jpg
    IMG-20210722-WA0007.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG-20210722-WA0000.jpg
    IMG-20210722-WA0000.jpg
    205.6 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG-20210722-WA0002.jpg
    IMG-20210722-WA0002.jpg
    186.4 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG-20210723-WA0005.jpg
    IMG-20210723-WA0005.jpg
    410.5 KB · Views: 108
stratamania said:
Which Schaller switch there are a few?

What is it that you are asking for?

I can follow the published lace sensor diagram, I was wondering how to connect the piezo arrangement.

monchavo said:
stratamania said:

I can follow the published lace sensor diagram, I was wondering how to connect the piezo arrangement.

How was it connected before?

Did you document how the whole thing was wired prior to these mods?

stratamania said:
monchavo said:
stratamania said:

How was it connected before?

Did you document how the whole thing was wired prior to these mods?

The Switch is a Schaller Mega Switch model "S".

I did not make the modifications, I am helping a friend to do the soldering. Unfortunately he did not document the original wiring. I've done some research and established that the guitar is a Parker Fly P-38. There is one sketched out schematic which I can locate - I've been to the Parker Fly forums to try to get someone there to help out. The situation is somewhat complicated by the fact that the chap wants

- Lace sensors HSS
- Schaller Mega Switch (to fit the shallow body)
- Connect the piezo somehow to the setup

Any ideas where I can start?

Try breaking it down into its component parts.

Lace sensors HSS to Schaller Mega Switch  to magnetic volume and tone should be fairly straightforward.
For that just reference wiring diagrams for Lace sensors and the mega switch.
The output from the magnetic volume knob would probably go to a 3 way switch next.

The 3 way switch would select between magnetic, piezo or both dependent on the position of the 3 way. The 3 ways output would go to the stereo output jack.

The rest would be the Piezo output from its board to the piezo volume (unless the volume is connected to the board to achieve the same purpose) and then to the 3 way switch previously mentioned.

Try to figure out one element and then the next.

I have not checked the Lace wiring codes but overall it looks about right. However the connectivity from the Megaswitch to the tone pots needs a change.

The wires from Megaswitch terminals 5 & 6 are used to go to different tone pots such as on a Strat with 1 vol and 2 tones. As you have a master volume and master tone for the magnetic pickups I would lose the wires from terminals 5 and 6. 4 would still go out to the volume pot but just wire the tone direct from the volume pot as it is a master tone. See diagram below. Your volume out still goes to the 3 way switch in the case of the Parker wiring.

101_Diag_5.png

Reference diagram https://www.seymourduncan.com/blog/latest-updates/guitar-wiring-102

You also need the back of the volume pot as shown on your diagram connected to ground. Its probably meant to be but it does not show it.

The lead from the volume pot to the tone pot needs to go on the opposite outside lug of the tone pot compared to how you have drawn it.

monchavo said:
stratamania said:
The lead from the volume pot to the tone pot needs to go on the opposite outside lug of the tone pot compared to how you have drawn it.

Thank you. This Wiring Diagram represents a Parker Fly P38 with Lace Sensor pickups and a Schaller S Switch.

Have you tested it yet?

stratamania said:
monchavo said:
stratamania said:

Thank you. This Wiring Diagram represents a Parker Fly P38 with Lace Sensor pickups and a Schaller S Switch.
Have you tested it yet?

Good Morning and thanks again for your help.

I have made some additional modifications to the diagram.

This diagram now contains reference to the push/pull coil tap which is on the second tone, has wired the tones correctly and has updated the wiring colours to reflect reality - rather than what is on the Lace website.  ???

Attachments

• wiring diagram v4  210801.png
    wiring diagram v4 210801.png
    347 KB · Views: 108
stratamania said:
Is it all working now?

The materials are all in another part of the UK. When I get to see the chap, do the works, ill report back. Thanks for your help.

Back