How "perfect" does the color need to be before clear coating?

fmunoz

Hello,

First timer here,

I am DIY finishing my first body using StewMac's laquer spray cans. The sealer went in ok, and I am close to complete the black paint part. My question is, so I have to fine sand and level the black color coat before laying down the clear? if so which grits to use? I've been using 320 between coats to make it even and it seems like its not fine enough, should I use a finer grain? or will the clear coat melt the surface anyway and it should turn out ok?

Here is a picture of it so far after drying for 17hrs but before I sand again, the white is mostly light reflections on the sanding marks from previous passes...

IMG_0541.JPG

Thanks

I would not spray that with clear yet. The  whole surface needs to be flat before you spray clear. Use a sanding block with 320 for the flat surfaces and a fine sanding sponge for the corners and rounded edges. The better your color coat looks the less work you will have getting the clear to look good and more ease with wet sanding and polishing. As it is you would need to add a lot of clear to fill the dimples that are still in the surface.

Back