How do you install a FR nut onto a prep shelf with mounting holes?

O

Orange Tortex

I can’t find anything online for this, nor can I figure it out myself. There are four screws, two bigger and two smaller, and two circular things that I’m assuming are spacers. So how are they supposed to go?

There should be two round washers, two woodscrews and two bolts which need a hex key to tighten them.

If your nut prep on the neck looks like this...

floydrose-prep-back.jpg

Then you put the nut in the slot, then use the two circular washers and put them into the holes at the back of the neck, then put the two black bolts in from the back through the circular washers and into the nut and tighten with a hex key. Or put the washers on the bolts and then screw them into the holes attaining the same result (in this case the woodscrews are not used)

If it does not look like the picture above then you use the two woodscrews to mount it from the top. (In this case the circular washers and bolts are not used).

stratamania said:
There should be two round washers, two woodscrews and two bolts which need a hex key to tighten them.

If your nut prep on the neck looks like this...

floydrose-prep-back.jpg

Then you put the nut in the slot, then use the two circular washers and put them into the holes at the back of the neck, then put the two black bolts in from the back through the circular washers and into the nut and tighten with a hex key. (in this case the woodscrews are not used)

If it does not look like the picture above then you use the two woodscrews to mount it from the top. (In this case the circular washers and bolts are not used).

Excellent info as always. 

I'm putting together the details of the next build and it will have an FR.  Does the height of the nut have to adjusted with shims, or is it generally good to go?

@rauchman, yes they can be adjusted with shims. Whether they are needed or not is going to depend on fret height and nut slot depth and how accurate they are taking the nut itself into account etc. I have not got a Warmoth neck with a locknut but I am sure others can comment on the accuracy of the depth that they provide.

the Big W's depth is pretty darn close to perfecto outta da box. if u need to shim, it shouldn't be much but there's no lifehack for making every froyd shelf perfect every single time for every neck. Each guitar is like a lady (or guy if thats what youre into, no judgement) you gotta woo into a hot passionate make-out sesh (the make-out sesh for a guitar is just playing it real good becuz you did a good set up).

now if u wanna talk about a #real big-boy life hack, do your dishes in the shower. baby, it'll blow your mind

Back