How do you call those tiny screws on wood/metal tone knobs

docteurseb

I'm considering making wood knobs with a friend's CNC, how do you call those threaded 'screws' that are used on wood and metal knobs to lock the knob onto the pot's shaft ?
xc5jivpvfpvavvjddube.jpg

I do it with just a regular tap.  If the wood is dense it works just fine.

gotta go slow and back it out a bit often, otherwise you'll crack the sucker.

As TBurst said, their called set-screws. As Mayfly said not hard to thread, their usually 6-32 or 8-32 size. What I would add is that after you run the tap through the knob once, run some super glue onto the threads in the knob and let dry. Then run the tap through again once or twice. It helps to harden the threads, you just have to be careful how much glue you apply. You want to just cover the threads........ :headbang:

Thanks guys.

I was definitely planning to use superglue to strengthen the wood and also as sealer before applying a gloss finish.
I use it quite a bit on backplates when the mounting holes are overly close to the edge (PRS ones).

Did a test using a hole saw to make speed knobs, it works decently well.
And if using a 5.5mm drill bit then a set screw doesn't seem needed to fit 6mm split shaft pots which is nice... I'll be giving this a shot the next few days, practicing on 'normal wood' first before moving onto curly maple.

Let us know how they look when you've got something fancy to show!  :headbang:

I call them einsey weinsey screws.

The tilte gets expanded to einsey weinsey little f'ers, when i unscrew them too far, they fall out off the table and then I have to go find them.

Here's what I got with mahogany:
Iaso3oH.jpg

E3sK4Oa.jpg

It's a little too tall at the moment but since the shaft hole was done with a brad point bit I can only really remove maybe 3/32".
I was easy to install on the pot but I broken the pot off trying to remove it.

I think it'll be a very fine first project for the small CNC I'm getting soon.

My brain recalls a parody from some time before 8th grade,  of "Love is Strange", wherein the female lead, after sweetly crooning, proceeds to launch into a tirade. Memory had attributed this to Ray Stevens but I couldn't find it just now.

Anyway, that's the first thing that popped into my mind upon reading the thread title.

Back