How do I wire this?

O

Orange Tortex

I have a wiring diagram from Seymour Duncan but there’s one difference between it and my neck pickup. In the diagram, the neck pickup is shown with four conductors, mine only has one. So what do I have to do with mine?
Also, which way are the pickups supposed to be positioned in the cavities?

Attachments

• D5631AEE-769C-4CA0-90C3-8AA85892B2D0.png
    D5631AEE-769C-4CA0-90C3-8AA85892B2D0.png
    122.6 KB · Views: 111
Your pickup must have two conductors rather than one. It probably has a centre conductor which will equate to the black wire on the diagram. The outer braid or shield is the other conductor and that connects to ground similar to the green and bare shown on the diagram.

Which way round - I don't know what pickups you have or any visual reference. Can you provide something?

stratamania said:
Your pickup must have two conductors rather than one. It probably has a centre conductor which will equate to the black wire on the diagram. The outer braid or shield is the other conductor and that connects to ground similar to the green and bare shown on the diagram.

Which way round - I don't know what pickups you have or any visual reference. Can you provide something?
Neck - SD ‘59 Model (SH-1n)
Bridge - SD Custom 5 Trembucker (TB-14)
The ‘59 Model comes in 1-conductor and 4-conductor versions. Mine is 1-conductor, or two, as you said.
In the pickup cavities, the holes for the wires are on the right side, toward the controls. So do I position them with the wired side of the pickup facing the controls?
Both pickups have adjustable pole pieces on one side. Would that say how they need to face?

The diagram has a suggested orientation by showing where the screws are.  I always follow the diagram but I’ve wondered if it mattered.

Orange Tortex said:
stratamania said:

Neck - SD ‘59 Model (SH-1n)
Bridge - SD Custom 5 Trembucker (TB-14)
The ‘59 Model comes in 1-conductor and 4-conductor versions. Mine is 1-conductor, or two, as you said.
In the pickup cavities, the holes for the wires are on the right side, toward the controls. So do I position them with the wired side of the pickup facing the controls?
Both pickups have adjustable pole pieces on one side. Would that say how they need to face?

The adjustable pole pieces would be positioned as shown on the diagram. Neck screw coil closest to the neck, and bridge screw coil closest to the bridge.

The metal shielding braid gets wired to ground and the inner wire gets wired to the switch where the black wire is in the diagram.

ragamuffin said:
The metal shielding braid gets wired to ground and the inner wire gets wired to the switch where the black wire is in the diagram.
Speaking of the switch, which way is it supposed to face? Is it with the spring side facing toward the controls?

Attachments

• C181C609-AD28-483C-B4FC-D9ADBB0A.png
    C181C609-AD28-483C-B4FC-D9ADBB0A.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 98
When I do this I just follow the directions and orient things the way the picture shows.  There are people here more expert than I and I'm sure they will chime in.

Back